• Show
Clear All
  • elorasc
    Club Pro
    • Jul 12, 2010
    • Elora
    • Realtor

Golf Town Repair

I took a set of irons into Golf Town to be extended and re-gripped.

I picked them up today and got them home (they were in a plastic bag at the store). I discovered what appears to be black rubber residue on the sole of every single iron. My assumption is that someone was hitting them off of a lie board at the store.

The residue comes off with a bit of scrubbing, but I’m left feeling p’d off that (a) someone was hitting my clubs without my permission and (b) that in so doing they may have put the irons out of spec.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here, or do I have a legitimate beef with the store? I’ve not yet addressed this with the store; I wanted some advice before I do.
  • bl8d
    Tour Pro
    • Feb 27, 2014

residue would have been from them doubly verified by a lie board after they were bent. Not many fitters have an expensive Green Machine to check the lie/loft.
    Last edited by bl8d; Jun 6, 2024, 03:41 PM.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• elorasc
      Club Pro
      • Jul 12, 2010
      • Elora
      • Realtor

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
      residue would have been from them doubly verified by a lie board after they were bent. Not many fitters have an expensive Green Machine to check the lie/loft.
      Fair enough, but they were never asked to verify the lie angles; it was a simple job of extending the shaft length and re-gripping.

Comment

• bl8d
        Tour Pro
        • Feb 27, 2014

when you extend a shaft you normally would ask them to verify the lie/loft.
        They did you a $40 freebie favour IMO.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• ARL67
          Tour Pro
          • Apr 11, 2009
          • Thornbury / Owen Sound

Not sure where a lie board fits in to verify a loft-lie check for a customer's clubs.

Are you sure the residue is rubber and not metal on metal ?
          Every GT would have loft-lie bending machine. The aluminum parts of the bending machine can leave a black smudge on the clubface and black marks on the sole where contact is made, but not a whole stripe of residue on the sole. When I bend I use heavy plastic under the sole, a thin plastic film on the face, and a brass sleeve around the hosel to avoid bending marks. The heavy plastic under the sole also prevents dimples on the soles of softer forged clubs. The metal on metal residue comes off easily with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.
          🍍 2024 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
          Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
          Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

• elorasc
            Club Pro
            • Jul 12, 2010
            • Elora
            • Realtor

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
            Not sure where a lie board fits in to verify a loft-lie check for a customer's clubs.

Every GT would have loft-lie bending machine. The aluminum parts of the bending machine can leave a black smudge on the clubface and black marks on the sole where contact is made, but not a whole stripe of residue on the sole. When I bend I use heavy plastic under the sole, a thin plastic film on the face, and a brass sleeve around the hosel to avoid bending marks. The heavy plastic under the sole also prevents dimples on the soles of softer forged clubs. The metal on metal residue comes off easily with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.
            Right, a lie board, as I understand it, would only be relevant if I was the one swinging the club.

Comment

• elorasc
              Club Pro
              • Jul 12, 2010
              • Elora
              • Realtor

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post

Fair enough, I am just surprised that they would have done a loft and lie check without having been asked. Maybe I got bonus service?

Comment

• bl8d
                Tour Pro
                • Feb 27, 2014

Lie boards allow to check for the change in shaft flex, ie nose droop that comes with a change in shaft length,.
                Unless I missed it, he does not mention how much he had them extended. The weight and size of the new grip, if oversize or Mid also plays into this.

We also don't know why he felt it necessary to have them extended, Bought them used? Probably should have gone for a fitting then.
                Either way, he'll likely likely figure it out.
                Last edited by bl8d; Jun 6, 2024, 05:06 PM.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• elorasc
                  Club Pro
                  • Jul 12, 2010
                  • Elora
                  • Realtor

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                  Lie boards allow to check for the change in shaft flex, ie nose droop that comes with a change in shaft length,.
                  Unless I missed it, he does not mention how much he had them extended. The weight and size of the new grip, if oversize or Mid also plays into this.

We also don't know why he felt it necessary to have them extended, Bought them used? Probably should have gone for a fitting then.
                  Either way, he'll likely likely figure it out.
                  I’ve had fittings. I bought the clubs used; they were 3/4” short of standard. I had them extended 3/4” back to standard. Nothing else needed to be changed.

Comment

• bl8d
                    Tour Pro
                    • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by elorasc View Post

I’ve had fittings. I bought the clubs used; they were 3/4” short of standard. I had them extended 3/4” back to standard. Nothing else needed to be changed.
                    this kind of info should have been included in your initial post to keep the speculation to a minimum..

but as I said the length addition of 3/4" would have changed the lie, and would have necessitated a lie adjustment that would suit you best.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• GoGolfing2
                      Mid Handicapper
                      • Sep 5, 2017
                      • Burlington, ON
                      • Telecom

I'm not familiar with club fitting process at all, just read all posts here I think the other folks saying make sense it was from lie board rather than some one hit them, if someone in GT really interested in your club wanted a try, first they wouldn't need to hit every single club to feel it second they'd use the tape protect club face and sole as they do all the time, that tape is allover the place in hitting bays. Hope this make you feel better.

Comment

• rulie
                        Tour Pro
                        • Sep 13, 2011

Originally posted by GoGolfing2 View Post
                        I'm not familiar with club fitting process at all, just read all posts here I think the other folks saying make sense it was from lie board rather than some one hit them, if someone in GT really interested in your club wanted a try, first they wouldn't need to hit every single club to feel it second they'd use the tape protect club face and sole as they do all the time, that tape is allover the place in hitting bays. Hope this make you feel better.
                        Clarifying - a "lie board" only works if the clubs are used to hit balls off the board. Most lie boards are plexiglass or some form of plastic and involve some tape on the sole of the club. The process would not leave marks on the sole of the club. Imo, lie board results are also specific to the player swinging the club.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X