Collapse

How to Weight Your Driver for Best Results / Counterbalance vs Head Weight vs Both

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • veryold
    Tour Pro
    • Oct 16, 2012
    • Mississauga, Sq.1 area
    • long retired old fossil :)

How to Weight Your Driver for Best Results / Counterbalance vs Head Weight vs Both

I have ONLY 3 subscriptions to Youtubers and this guy is 1 of them. He produces some interesting content on fitting/club building and has a quite decent golf swing to go with it.
    I actually experimented with the 1st of his tests (adding weight to the club head) and liked it (same as him) but really had to fight the exaggerated​ fade tendency.

• bl8d
    Tour Pro
    • Feb 27, 2014

In 1995-6 TaylorMade produced the radical Bubble shaft for its woods and later for its irons.
    The stock swing-weight for the driver and FW' were D8 though the total weight of the clubs was less than those of others.

My point is that you put the weight in the Hammerhead not the handle, and TM achieved that with their Bubble shaft.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• veryold
      Tour Pro
      • Oct 16, 2012
      • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
      In 1995-6 TaylorMade produced the radical Bubble shaft for its woods and later for its irons.
      The stock swing-weight for the driver and FW' were D8 though the total weight of the clubs was less than those of others.

My point is that you put the weight in the Hammerhead not the handle, and TM achieved that with their Bubble shaft.
      Very interesting, thanks 👍
      As I mentioned, I increased the weight of my r7 460 by putting 2 14 gr weights and it definitely becomes a hammer, lol, but fades all the time ?

Comment

• bl8d
        Tour Pro
        • Feb 27, 2014

either strengthen your top hand grip(3knuckle) or move the head weight a bit to the heel.

The r7 460 has unmatched adjustment possibilities.

correction I meant the 4 port r7425 the model I played for some years before my son "borrowed" it,
        Last edited by bl8d; Jul 4, 2024, 08:41 PM.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• bl8d
          Tour Pro
          • Feb 27, 2014

check your face contact to see if its heel side, it could explain the persistent fade.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• veryold
            Tour Pro
            • Oct 16, 2012
            • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

either strengthen your top hand grip(3knuckle) or move the head weight a bit to the heel.
            The r7 460 has unmatched adjustment possibilities.
            correction I meant the 4 port r7425 the model I played for some years before my son "borrowed" it,​
            Much appreciated - will try it tomorrow. Man, ***EVERY*** time i go out, i am finding "NEW" things in this game, ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING and ADICTIVE
            And yes, the original r7, r7QUAD, and r7425 all had 4 weigth ports, my r7460 has only 2.

check your face contact to see if its heel side, it could explain the persistent fade.
            ​Will do. Taking same painters tape with me tomorrow

Comment

• Canada8888
              Mid Handicapper
              • Apr 30, 2021

PXG has weight screws in the bottom of the club that you can change and an adapter that lets you drop the lie to 3 degrees flat. Over the winter, I had the time to try lots of different combos on the GC3 and record the results.

Bottom line is that the changes really make a difference to distance , dispersion, etc.

The weight kit costs an extra $100 but if you have the time an a launch monitor it is fun to do in the winter.

Comment

• ARL67
                Tour Pro
                • Apr 11, 2009
                • Thornbury / Owen Sound

You can buy weight kits for most any club on AliExpress for $cheap. I always grab a few ( usually heavier ones ) for whatever generation of club I am into next. They are way cheaper than buying from the OEM, and usually arrive within 10 days.
                🍍 2024 WITB 🍍​
                Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
                Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

• veryold
                  Tour Pro
                  • Oct 16, 2012
                  • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                  You can buy weight kits for most any club on AliExpress for $cheap. I always grab a few ( usually heavier ones ) for whatever generation of club I am into next. They are way cheaper than buying from the OEM, and usually arrive within 10 days.
                  LOL, AliExpress is my favorite store and totally replaced Ebay. But some of my deliveries from Ali take >> 10 days

Comment

• veryold
                    Tour Pro
                    • Oct 16, 2012
                    • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

Yup, without a doubt it's the FACE CONTACT.
                    Had a wonderful Sunset practice session at Derrydale this evening, painters tape and all, and YES, it was the "Heely Contact" that was causing, BOTH, FADE + LACK OF DISTANCE.

Once I corrected that, what a diff, straight (with no grip change) + at least 10 yards longer.
                    JUST LOVED IT

Thanks again SO MUCH for your kind and generous help on this subject, really appreciated
                    Last edited by veryold; Jul 13, 2024, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• bl8d
                      Tour Pro
                      • Feb 27, 2014

glad to hear it helped. Cheers
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard