• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJCams
    Scratch Golfer
    • Feb 8, 2018
    • Windsor, ON

Sawmill Creek Golf Resort & Spa - Camlachie, ON

Has anyone played here recently..... I know in the past it was pretty nice and my Dad and his wife did a few trips in that area (along with Bonnie Doon?) (we are in Windsor), and had great things to say about. Not sure when it closed and the new owners took over, but I see that searches show quite a few "reviews" from places like TripAdvisor, GolfNow, but they don't have a website or anything.

Trying to come up with some potential shorter type trips for this summer that are not super far from Windsor - aside from the Niagara region.

Sawmill has always been in the back of my mind, as well as Forest.
  • CRobertson
    Scratch Golfer
    • Feb 27, 2019
    • Goderich, ON, Canada
    • Optician

Played it years ago and it was a decent track. Hearing stay away now. They don't maintain it. Bunkers grown in, fairways not cut. Frequently see it for $15 on golfnow, but the reviews on the site tell the reason why.
    Titleist Tsi2 9* - PXG 0341XF 16* - PXG 0317XF 19/22* - P770/P7MC 5-PW - Zipcore 50/54/58 - LAB Link

Comment

• TJCams
      Scratch Golfer
      • Feb 8, 2018
      • Windsor, ON

Originally posted by CRobertson View Post
      Played it years ago and it was a decent track. Hearing stay away now. They don't maintain it. Bunkers grown in, fairways not cut. Frequently see it for $15 on golfnow, but the reviews on the site tell the reason why.
      I kind of figured as much. Was this area not a popular golf vacation getaway not that long ago......between Sawmill Creek and Bonnie Doon which is now closed.

We've lost a lot of courses in SW Ontario.

Comment

• CRobertson
        Scratch Golfer
        • Feb 27, 2019
        • Goderich, ON, Canada
        • Optician

Originally posted by TJCams View Post

I kind of figured as much. Was this area not a popular golf vacation getaway not that long ago......between Sawmill Creek and Bonnie Doon which is now closed.

We've lost a lot of courses in SW Ontario.
        Some year end reviews on Golfnow say it's coming along. Still some areas of concern but improving. So new owners must be making an effort. Still not likely a go out of your way to play destination by the sounds of it.
        Titleist Tsi2 9* - PXG 0341XF 16* - PXG 0317XF 19/22* - P770/P7MC 5-PW - Zipcore 50/54/58 - LAB Link

Comment

• countvelvet
          Duffer
          • May 1, 2012
          • Sarnia

Sawmill is definitely getting better. I have been a member off and on for the last 20 years. The new owner took over in July of 2019 and completely destroyed the course. Ranjit Singh is his name. He also bought Bear Creek in Strathroy and destroyed it too. He sold Bear Creek a few years ago and now it is called Willow Tree. The rumour is Ranjit sold Sawmill to his 2 sons early last year and they started putting money into it. I played it 5 times last year and it was better each time. I also heard that the brothers are going to sell it this year.

Comment

• TJCams
            Scratch Golfer
            • Feb 8, 2018
            • Windsor, ON

Originally posted by countvelvet View Post
            Sawmill is definitely getting better. I have been a member off and on for the last 20 years. The new owner took over in July of 2019 and completely destroyed the course. Ranjit Singh is his name. He also bought Bear Creek in Strathroy and destroyed it too. He sold Bear Creek a few years ago and now it is called Willow Tree. The rumour is Ranjit sold Sawmill to his 2 sons early last year and they started putting money into it. I played it 5 times last year and it was better each time. I also heard that the brothers are going to sell it this year.
            Interesting.... I know it used to be a popular destination - at least it was for my Dad's group of golfers. They'd do a couple day trip to there and Bonnie Doon, and maybe one other place.....Bonnie Doon closed a number of years ago.

Comment

• rgk5
              Tour Pro
              • Nov 2, 2004
              • Hamilton, Ontario. Edmond, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, California
              • Retired High School History Teacher

Originally posted by countvelvet View Post
              A few of us used to call it "Mosquito Junction".
              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
              Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 18* 5-wood, Ventus Blue 50 A
              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

Fun Set: MacGregor Nicklaus JNP Forged, 4-pw, DG S300
              TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

• birdieman5204
                High Handicapper
                • Apr 12, 2021

Just booked the stay and play on Underpar and will report back. I've heard the course is in good shape this year, hotel was being renovated but can't find much info on it. Either way for $99 I think it's worth a roll of the dice!

Save at Sawmill Creek Golf Resort & Spa and other Sarnia, Ontario golf courses. The best golf deals are underpar golf deals.

Comment

• elmeroil
                  Tour Pro
                  • Jul 31, 2013
                  • London

Originally posted by birdieman5204 View Post
                  Just booked the stay and play on Underpar and will report back. I've heard the course is in good shape this year, hotel was being renovated but can't find much info on it. Either way for $99 I think it's worth a roll of the dice!

https://www.underpar.com/courses/saw...olf-resort-spa
                  This is good to hear, I thought this place was toast! Hope you write about your experience here, I'll likely grab one of those underpars too because like you said that's worth the chance. The recent reviews are encouraging!

Comment

• TJCams
                    Scratch Golfer
                    • Feb 8, 2018
                    • Windsor, ON

Originally posted by birdieman5204 View Post

https://www.underpar.com/courses/saw...olf-resort-spa
                    I saw that as well. It's not a far drive from Windsor, but anyways....curious about it and look forward to your review.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X