Clear All
  • veryold
    Tour Pro
    • Oct 16, 2012
    • Mississauga, Sq.1 area
    • long retired old fossil :)

Short Swing - Awesome Power ???

Hi all, hope everybody is doing well and playing well and lots
    I am starting to play, and loving every second of it.

Have a quick question re. short back swing and some unbelievably long drives I witnessed and had an absolute pleasure playing with a wonderful and kind gentleman I was paired at Braeben a few days ago.

He wasn't young, maybe in his mid 50s and he even had knee braces on both knees, and he mentioned that without them he couldn't walk, not minding playing golf.

While most Long Drive Competitors go almost vertical shaft, towards the ground that is, he had this really short back swing, barely passing VERTICAL, but in his case, pointing to the sky !!! Nevertheless, he hit his GW about 140 yards and the driver maybe 300 on average - just an awesome site to see !!!
    FWIW, I needed a driver and an 8 iron just to get leveled with his drives

SO my question is WHERE IS REALLY THE POWER FOR THIS SHORT BACK SWING COMING FROM ???

And also, with such a short back swing, requiring a tremendous acceleration of the arms and club in such a short distance, the GRIP PRESSURE HAD TO BE EXTREMELY FIRM, NO ???

Thanks in advance to all contributing and cheers
    Last edited by veryold; Jun 18, 2020, 09:04 AM.
  • mrcltuch31
    Club Pro
    • Apr 29, 2020

Did he have tall height and long arms like Tony Finau? Could be just good genes...

Comment

• Jasonp
      Tour Pro
      • Dec 17, 2015
      • York Region

A general rule is. Longer swing has the "potential" for more speed. You'll never see a LD competitor with a "short" BS.

However at the end of the day speed is built around having maximum Clubhead speed at the right time. For most amateurs the longer your BS the more likely its long is because of flaws, lifting arms, folding elbows etc not because you create a big wide turn and create width.

Great golf and long drives can be created both ways. Also Finaus BS is short yes but not as short as you'd assume. Its because its a very flat BS it looks short. But look at his shoulder and hip turn. Quite good.

Comment

• MattM97
        Tour Pro
        • Sep 18, 2018
        • Etobicoke
        • Fiber Optic Design

I'd say I have a shorter back swing and have a few reasons why I'm doing it. I'm a big guy, I don't have the mobility like John Daly or Kiradech Aphibarnrat so that long of a swing is a lot of weight moving and a lot of stress on my body, do that over a round and it adds up.

I find in a shorter swing less can go wrong but you still have to be using proper technique, I'm not immune to bad shots at least at my handicap, guys like Finau or Rahm it's a different story. But from above less stress on my body, not as tired so my technique can stay the same or waver less over the round.

In my past sport it was an extremely quick, super explosive movement like over in less than 2 seconds. I'm use to that really short and aggressive swing, it's more comfortable to me and I'm sure I probably have a quicker swing in that short movement.

Now what you need, well core obviously, a strong back as you are stressing it a good amount. The most important is legs which all golfers should work on. Look at Finau's legs when he practices in shorts, they're ripped, legs like a cyclist, produce a ton of power. He's also what 6'6" so he has the levers to swing like he does and send the ball as far as he does.

But if you decided you want a shorter swing you need to practice it, I still need to work on my swing but it's way more comfortable and way more effective than what I was going much further back.
        Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
        3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
        3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
        Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
        Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
        Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
        TP5X 2024
        Ghost Katana

Comment

• Bosco
          Tour Pro
          • Dec 5, 2007
          • TO
          • Employed

Check out some of Shawn clement’s vids on the tube. You don’t always need power to get the ball out there

Comment

• veryold
            Tour Pro
            • Oct 16, 2012
            • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

Thanks for this, very informative.
            Just a quick question if I may: how firmly do you grip the club ???
            Thanks and cheers
            Originally posted by MattM97 View Post
            I'd say I have a shorter back swing and have a few reasons why I'm doing it. I'm a big guy, I don't have the mobility like John Daly or Kiradech Aphibarnrat so that long of a swing is a lot of weight moving and a lot of stress on my body, do that over a round and it adds up.

I find in a shorter swing less can go wrong but you still have to be using proper technique, I'm not immune to bad shots at least at my handicap, guys like Finau or Rahm it's a different story. But from above less stress on my body, not as tired so my technique can stay the same or waver less over the round.

In my past sport it was an extremely quick, super explosive movement like over in less than 2 seconds. I'm use to that really short and aggressive swing, it's more comfortable to me and I'm sure I probably have a quicker swing in that short movement.

Now what you need, well core obviously, a strong back as you are stressing it a good amount. The most important is legs which all golfers should work on. Look at Finau's legs when he practices in shorts, they're ripped, legs like a cyclist, produce a ton of power. He's also what 6'6" so he has the levers to swing like he does and send the ball as far as he does.

But if you decided you want a shorter swing you need to practice it, I still need to work on my swing but it's way more comfortable and way more effective than what I was going much further back.

Comment

• MattM97
              Tour Pro
              • Sep 18, 2018
              • Etobicoke
              • Fiber Optic Design

Originally posted by veryold View Post
              Thanks for this, very informative.
              Just a quick question if I may: how firmly do you grip the club ???
              Thanks and cheers
              I'd say on the firmer side, I do use a strong grip as well. But I am looking at moving to larger grips from the midsize I'm at just to take pressure off my hands from gripping so firm.
              TP5X 2024
              Ghost Katana

Comment

• veryold
                Tour Pro
                • Oct 16, 2012
                • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

I'd say on the firmer side, I do use a strong grip as well. But I am looking at moving to larger grips from the midsize I'm at just to take pressure off my hands from gripping so firm.
                Again, much appreciated and thanked
                U r from Etobicoke ? If you ever play Braeben and have any interests in doing a twilight there, maybe LMK.
                All best !!!

Comment

• MattM97
                  Tour Pro
                  • Sep 18, 2018
                  • Etobicoke
                  • Fiber Optic Design

Again, much appreciated and thanked
                  U r from Etobicoke ? If you ever play Braeben and have any interests in doing a twilight there, maybe LMK.
                  All best !!!
                  I am and will do, I usually get out there once or twice a year with friends.
                  TP5X 2024
                  Ghost Katana

Comment

• veryold
                    Tour Pro
                    • Oct 16, 2012
                    • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

I am and will do, I usually get out there once or twice a year with friends.

Comment

• ARL67
                      Tour Pro
                      • Apr 11, 2009
                      • Thornbury / Owen Sound

I believe that the older one gets, the less hip turn & legs get involved in the swing. That's I how interpret MY shorter distance over the last 3 years. I view hip turn as a multiplier of whatever else is going on to achieve swing-speed.

In audio terms, the "whatever else is going on" is the power amp ( fixed gain ), while the hip-turn is the pre-amp ( variable-gain multiplier, aka volume control ). I want the volume knob to go to 11, but mine only goes to maybe a 7 these days

🍍 2024 WITB 🍍​
                      Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                      Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
                      Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                      Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                      Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                      Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                      Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

• bl8d
                        Tour Pro
                        • Feb 27, 2014

You might want to look into Gary Edwin-the right sided swing.

Gary Edwin Instructional video, Gary Edwin describes how to develop arm speed and power in the right sided swing
                        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• veryold
                          Tour Pro
                          • Oct 16, 2012
                          • Mississauga, Sq.1 area

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                          You might want to look into Gary Edwin-the right sided swing.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0uW14gnb6o
                          WOW, thanks for this !!!
                          THIS IS EXACTLY HOW MY PARTNER SWUNG THAT DAY.
                          Amazing that you would take effort to post this link, and again, I really thank you for your kindness

Well, if I am interpreting his teaching correctly, the power, especially in these short back swings, comes almost entirely from the arms, and more specifically the trailing arm, right ? IOW, the "clearing/rotation of the hips" is NOT THE POWER SOURCE, but a RESULT of arms driving down and thru ??? Just swing the arms across the more or less stationary chest ???

But when I try that, my already meager drives of 180 yards (with my full, loosey-goosey back swing) will go down to 150 yards Maybe I am just too old for the short back swing, well come to think of it, maybe just too plain old for any swing, urgh, old age really stinks
                          Last edited by veryold; Jun 18, 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Putts4Dough
                            Scratch Golfer
                            • Oct 18, 2008
                            • Markham

I find that my 3/4 PW goes just as far as if i overswing that same PW. Most likely due to early release and reaching top speed prior to contact on the overswing.

Im guessing your playing partner with the short backswing just releases his top speed through the ball with a late release.

Comment

• rgk5
                              Tour Pro
                              • Nov 2, 2004
                              • Hamilton, Ontario. Edmond, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, California
                              • Retired High School History Teacher

Hi all, hope everybody is doing well and playing well and lots
                              I am starting to play, and loving every second of it.

Have a quick question re. short back swing and some unbelievably long drives I witnessed and had an absolute pleasure playing with a wonderful and kind gentleman I was paired at Braeben a few days ago.

He wasn't young, maybe in his mid 50s and he even had knee braces on both knees, and he mentioned that without them he couldn't walk, not minding playing golf.

While most Long Drive Competitors go almost vertical shaft, towards the ground that is, he had this really short back swing, barely passing VERTICAL, but in his case, pointing to the sky !!! Nevertheless, he hit his GW about 140 yards and the driver maybe 300 on average - just an awesome site to see !!!
                              FWIW, I needed a driver and an 8 iron just to get leveled with his drives

SO my question is WHERE IS REALLY THE POWER FOR THIS SHORT BACK SWING COMING FROM ???

And also, with such a short back swing, requiring a tremendous acceleration of the arms and club in such a short distance, the GRIP PRESSURE HAD TO BE EXTREMELY FIRM, NO ???

Thanks in advance to all contributing and cheers
                              Try this. Hold a large elastic near you bare leg, stretch it half way and let it snap against your leg. Repeat doing it fully stretched. Which way hurt more? You have the answer to your swing question assuming the same downswing movements are used.
                              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                              Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 18* 5-wood, Ventus Blue 50 A
                              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

Fun Set: MacGregor Nicklaus JNP Forged, 4-pw, DG S300
                              TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X