• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hogannut
    Tour Pro
    • Dec 21, 2005

Maximum Golf - Next Read for Me

I am a somewhat advocate of self instruction and tend to read instruction books that were written in the "pre-video" era. I find this approach is more about the swing as a motion instead of a series of positions. I find modern instruction can be information overload and seems to be more so of a teacher showing their students how and where they are "out of position". Drills to correct that will help and I have a friend who has dedicated himself to this kind of instruction and he is/has improved.

My main golf bible started off as "Practical Golf" byJOhn Jacobs which I stole from my father in the 80s when I started taking golf seriously. In between that I also have taken bits & pieces from Nicklaus' "Golf my Way". I guess I should add to my list of reads the Tommy Armour book which I have heard is quite good. Harvey Penick's 2 books, Red & Green are a great read with some good "tips" but IMO I wouldn't call them instruction books although the Red Book has some excellent swing thoughts in them. Also would say you should read "Putting out of your Mind" if you want to get better on the greens.

My repertoire then brought Hogan's 5 Fundamentals which I still think is one of the best. I did consider this the best read in terms of ROI of time spent to read and practice the recommendations of the writings. I now would recommend "One Move to Better Golf" by Carl Lohren as the easiest and fastest way to improve. Ironically those 3 books (Practical, 5 Fundamentals & One Move) were illustrated by the same artist, Anthony Ravielli.

There was a book that came out in the 2000's based on Hogan's teachings to John Schlee (who I had never head prior to this book) titled "The Secret of Hogan's Swing" by Tom Bertrand. He was the survivor of Schlee who had died and a partner in his golf school in the 80s and the recipient of the lessons Hogan gave to Schlee, which Hogan did very little in terms of teaching anyone. Schlee wrote a book called Maximum Golf which you can buy from Tom Betrand and he will send you a Pdf.

I am getting this printed out as I don't do well reading off a screen. I've looked at it here and there but now want to read the full thing. If anyone has read this would like your feedback as it looks pretty detailed, a few hundred pages. Thanks for any feedback!
    WHAT SITS ON MY CLIC-GEAR
    Alpha Golf C830.4 SP700 Plasma 10* Platinum 65 gr
    Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr
    Alpha Golf C830 19* Platinum 60 gr
    Alpha C2 Fly 4- G/W Platinum 60 gr
    Snake Eyes 675 WB 54* & 58* FST 90 gr
    Heavy Putter A1 33"
    " The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan
  • cuonthe1t
    Tour Pro
    • Nov 27, 2008
    • Hamilton
    • retired (teacher)

I have read more golf instruction books than I can remember and the one book in my opinion that stands alone when revealing the swing as a motion instead of a series of positions is by Manuel De La Torre - Understanding the Golf Swing - he was influenced first of all by his father Angel and also by Ernest Jones
    Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
    23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
    6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
    52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
    Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...