Collapse

Is Aim Point Useful or just NONSENCE ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • veryold
    Tour Pro
    • Oct 16, 2012
    • Mississauga, Sq.1 area
    • long retired old fossil :)

Is Aim Point Useful or just NONSENCE ???

First, don't watch much golf at all, but when I do (only Majors on FREE streaming, of course, LOL) am puzzled, actually a bit annoyed watching players going back and forth, stradling the line of put, first facing the hole than turning their backs to the hole and repeating all this for a minute or more.

Does this slow down the POP and even contribute to damaging the greens with all this straddling BACK AND FORTH ?

And FWIW, yesterday at Braeben, tried it for few holes and it is probably just me, but NO WAY I COULD DETERMINE the slope even on a pretty sloped greens, for which, Braeben is "famous" for, never mind for the puts that break just couple of inches, LOL.

How about u, anyone using it and benefitting from it ???

Cheers

...just watching Scottish Open and some players spending at least a minute repeating this procedure, first facing the hole than facing away from the hole and then repeating it to infinitum on a meager 6' pretty straight put to boot, and missing the hole by quite a bit - give me a break Even the commentator, in a polite, but so funny way at the same time, questioned the "value" of this thing, LOL.

...don't think you'll ever see John Daly doing this
    Last edited by veryold; Jul 13, 2024, 11:51 AM.
  • rgk5
    Tour Pro
    • Nov 2, 2004
    • Hamilton, Ontario. Edmond, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, California
    • Retired High School History Teacher

Originally posted by veryold View Post
    First, don't watch much golf at all, but when I do (only Majors on FREE streaming, of course, LOL) am puzzled, actually a bit annoyed watching players going back and forth, stradling the line of put, first facing the hole than turning their backs to the hole and repeating all this for a minute or more.

Does this slow down the POP and even contribute to damaging the greens with all this straddling BACK AND FORTH ?

And FWIW, yesterday at Braeben, tried it for few holes and it is probably just me, but NO WAY I COULD DETERMINE the slope even on a pretty sloped greens, for which, Braeben is "famous" for, never mind for the puts that break just couple of inches, LOL.

How about u, anyone using it and benefitting from it ???

Cheers

...just watching Scottish Open and some players spending at least a minute repeating this procedure, first facing the hole than facing away from the hole and then repeating it to infinitum on a meager 6' pretty straight put to boot, and missing the hole by quite a bit - give me a break Even the commentator, in a polite, but so funny way at the same time, questioned the "value" of this thing, LOL.

...don't think you'll ever see John Daly doing this
    That's because Daly is too fat to see his feet.
    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
    Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 18* 5-wood, Ventus Blue 50 A
    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

Fun Set: MacGregor Nicklaus JNP Forged, 4-pw, DG S300
    TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

• Cdntac
      Tour Pro
      • Jan 19, 2013

I took their course 8-10 years ago.

It works but IMO becomes irrelevant if there are multiple breaks or a hump in your line.

A 12’ putt sloping to the right or left? Aimpoint works well for me in those instances.

Comment

• foreright99
        Low Handicapper
        • Jun 7, 2018

I sometimes use Aim Point. I treat it as a tool rather than a magic bullet. It's a starting point in the putt reading process - there are other elements to consider (green speed, uphill / downhill etc, green condition).

The POP for pros is absurd (for ALL shots). I don't think it's because of Aimpoint. There's a video out there where Tiger took an eternity to line up a putt and he doesn't use Aimpoint. I haven't experienced an issue when i use it - POP wise. It's a relatively quick process for me (for those times i use it). I typically read a putt both ways (while others are in between putts). I quickly assign the putt a small / medium / severe break factor which dictates whether I put up 1 2 or 3 fingers. Aim....Fire! Easy peasy.

It's a tool that you need to practice on the practice green and figure out what works for you. How do you read your putts otherwise? How do you know whether aiming 5 inches left of the hole is right vs 10 inches left of the hole? Your green reading might be fine now, but if you're telling yourself "I should have aimed more left / right on that one, it might be interesting to give Aim Point a try. Something to test out on the practice green.

Comment

• rulie
          Tour Pro
          • Sep 13, 2011

Originally posted by foreright99 View Post
          I sometimes use Aim Point. I treat it as a tool rather than a magic bullet. It's a starting point in the putt reading process - there are other elements to consider (green speed, uphill / downhill etc, green condition).

The POP for pros is absurd (for ALL shots). I don't think it's because of Aimpoint. There's a video out there where Tiger took an eternity to line up a putt and he doesn't use Aimpoint. I haven't experienced an issue when i use it - POP wise. It's a relatively quick process for me (for those times i use it). I typically read a putt both ways (while others are in between putts). I quickly assign the putt a small / medium / severe break factor which dictates whether I put up 1 2 or 3 fingers. Aim....Fire! Easy peasy.

It's a tool that you need to practice on the practice green and figure out what works for you. How do you read your putts otherwise? How do you know whether aiming 5 inches left of the hole is right vs 10 inches left of the hole? Your green reading might be fine now, but if you're telling yourself "I should have aimed more left / right on that one, it might be interesting to give Aim Point a try. Something to test out on the practice green.

I agree that POP on the professional tours is virtually irrelevant to us amateurs. They take a long time to play a round, but the groups are nearly in position (as defined by the tours). The professionals know the tour's limits.
          However, for many amateurs that can't start their putt on the line that they've chosen, excess reading of putts (regardless of methods) is nonsense and does impact the POP for others.

Comment

• foreright99
            Low Handicapper
            • Jun 7, 2018

What do you consider to be “excess reading of putts”?

Comment

• Bosco
              Tour Pro
              • Dec 5, 2007
              • TO
              • Employed

If am’s could just figure out what their dominant eye is - that would go a long way to aiming their putts.

Comment

• bl8d
                Tour Pro
                • Feb 27, 2014

reading a break for more than 90 seconds and then taking another minute to setup and stroke.

If you then miss and repeat the procedure, suicide is an option to speed up POP.

you start "reading"your line as you walk up to the green and not wait till it's your turn.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• rulie
                  Tour Pro
                  • Sep 13, 2011

Originally posted by foreright99 View Post
                  What do you consider to be “excess reading of putts”?
                  Taking more than 40 seconds for a stroke once it’s your turn to play. Time spent reading putts is included in those 40 seconds.

Comment

• Jeffc
                    Tour Pro
                    • Aug 16, 2005
                    • Ottawa
                    • Minister of Sarcasm

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Taking more than 40 seconds for a stroke once it’s your turn to play. Time spent reading putts is included in those 40 seconds.
                    In my group it's more like 20. Read the break while someone else is putting and then hit your putt. 90% of putts don't require a ton of time to read.
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• Pingeye2_fan
                      Tour Pro
                      • Mar 26, 2006

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                      If am’s could just figure out what their dominant eye is - that would go a long way to aiming their putts.
                      That is literally one of the easiest things to figure out.

Create a triangle with your forefingers and thumbs. With both of your eyes open, center this triangle on an object in the distance like a door knob or a wall clock. Close your right eye. If the object remains centered, then your left eye (the eye that is open) is your dominant eye.​
                      Ping G410 Plus
                      Ping G410 3W
                      Ping G400 7W or 3H
                      Ping G400 4H
                      Ping G400 5 - UW
                      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

• Lostgolfballs
                        Low Handicapper
                        • Apr 22, 2017
                        • GTA

I use it to feel the break with my feet and I'm 100% at feeling the slope. Making the putt not so much.

Comment

• jimmy3864
                          Toronto Ryder Cup Member
                          • Jul 8, 2008
                          • Belleville
                          • Not millionaire

I have a bunch of playing partners (self taught btw) that go through the Aimpoint process and honestly I don’t believe any of them hole anymore putts than they did before.
                          - Vessel Cart Bag
                          - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver
                          - Callaway UW 17° & 21°
                          - Callaway Apex TCB irons (5-AW)
                          - Callaway Full Toe 54 & 58 wedges
                          - Toulon Chicago putter

Comment

• dmcdam
                            Tour Pro
                            • Dec 22, 2008
                            • Port Perry

I don't use aim point but I do read putts from the side and will stand close to the line and 'feel' with my feet if it's a really subtle or confusing break.
                            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                            Srixon Star XV
                            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Putts4Dough
                              Scratch Golfer
                              • Oct 18, 2008
                              • Markham

I think the value of AP is that it shows you not just the slope but makes you play more break. When using your eyes I think you see less break than what it is.

I find it faster as I used to read from both sides of the hole but now I just read with my feet. I feel more confident with the read vs my eyes.

Holing putts is a different story since AP is useful on breaking putts and those you need the speed right relative to the break you play.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X