• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rosenberg
    Scratch Golfer
    • Oct 22, 2017

Best summer golf trip?

Looking to get out to the states for a week in July.

i am considering Scottsdale Arizona. I googled but hearing summer rates aren’t as good as before. Any feedback?

any other places I should consider for great value? South Carolina?

thanks!
  • TheBananaSlice
    Tour Pro
    • Dec 12, 2004
    • Durham Region

Michigan has an awesome collection of courses.

In terms of value, I think Indiana is underrated. All of the major universities have really awesome public courses (Purdue, Norte Dame, ISU). Ohio is another state where you can find some pretty awesome value.

If you don’t mind the heat, Streamsong offers significant rate reductions in the summer and you could partner it with the new courses at Cabot Citrus Farms for a real bucket list trip.

Honestly, there is still a lot of value to be found in the US in places that aren’t labelled golf destinations. I’m always shocked at the quality of golf in random places all over the US. (My Mom lived in PA and within 45mins of her house there was like 15 courses that would be $150 in Ontario that I played for $20-$50 USD).

Comment

• Weirfan
      Tour Pro
      • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by rosenberg View Post

i am considering Scottsdale Arizona. I googled but hearing summer rates aren’t as good as before. Any feedback?

thanks!
      July in Scottsdale is hot , average is about 105 but often over 110 , plus the courses are not in their best shape due to heat. Definitely the cheapest time to play and some good deals to be had especially if you venture out a bit.

Look into West Virginia and North Carolina, some great mountain golf

we went to Oregon in July of 2022 and it was fantastic but a bit of a hike
      Last edited by Weirfan; May 21, 2024, 02:20 PM.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• 51Phantom
        Tour Pro
        • May 10, 2007
        • Toronto

I would think your best deals would be in Michigan. We are heading to Treetops at the end of July for three nights, 5 rounds with breakfast included for $688 US.

Comment

• zshereck
          Scratch Golfer
          • Jun 3, 2017
          • Thornhill
          • Real Estate Development

+1 for Northern Michigan.

Lots of different courses/cities you could do, but we did Treetops in Gaylord, MI a few summers ago. Golf was spectacular with 4 full courses + a great Par 3, and it was all less than half the price of any comparable courses around the GTA.

Comment

• rosenberg
            Scratch Golfer
            • Oct 22, 2017

Thanks for the replies. Going to do some research this weekend. Michigan sounds like a great option

Comment

• outthere
              Tour Pro
              • Jul 23, 2006
              • Oakville

Years ago we did Boyne Michigan and the courses were good and prices low. Make sure you include Arcadia Bluffs if you go to that area, beautiful views and great course (the original course, haven’t played the newer one), pricey but worth it.

Comment

• ajrosent
                High Handicapper
                • Aug 9, 2023

Sand Valley already fully booked for summer 2025 - insanity

Comment

• luv2kruz
                  Tour Pro
                  • Aug 3, 2006
                  • Mississauga
                  • Retired from the rat race and hav'n fun now

thanks!
                  Why restrict yourself to the states? PEI has some great courses at reasonable rates. I went out in July several years ago to the maritimes to play in Cape Breton (Cabot, Highland Links, + a few others) and PEI (Dundarave, Brudenell and Crowbush). Awesome golf trip.
                  Last edited by luv2kruz; Jul 4, 2024, 08:33 PM.
                  Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

• Weirfan
                    Tour Pro
                    • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by ajrosent View Post
                    Sand Valley already fully booked for summer 2025 - insanity
                    We are going next summer and were on the phone for many hours the day things opened for booking and were lucky to get our week. That was 18 months ahead

Bandon Dunes is worse, pretty much booked for 2 years ahead.....it was fantastic however, can't imagine any place better

Comment

• luvtapar88
                      Club Pro
                      • Mar 7, 2018
                      • Toronto

thanks!
                      Have done Scottsdale twice in the summer, and played some top courses, definitely the right time of year to go in you can brace the heat! Got to play some $300 plus courses for $100 price range. Typically places like Troon, Grey Hawk, Boulders, We-Ko Pa will have 1 of the 18 periodically closed in the summer. When we have gone, we would typically tee off around 6:15-6:30, usually off the course by 10:30 latest, and the heat wasn't too bad at that point.

The courses themselves do a pretty good job to help with the heat, cart usually comes around every couple holes with soaked towels.

Forgot to add, we played an afternoon 9 at TPC on of the days, temp was 116!

Comment

• Weirfan
                        Tour Pro
                        • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post

Forgot to add, we played an afternoon 9 at TPC on of the days, temp was 116!
                        Thats oppressive !

We did 36 at TPC Stadium one September and it was 110*F. Had 5 or 6 groups and teed off starting about 630am. I made a fatal error in deciding to drink with a buddy from Kentucky who was 20 years younger and 125 pounds heavier. After about 4-5 tall boys during the morning round and a large chimichanga for lunch I felt horrible for the afternoon 18 when we teed off at noon in peak heat. Took a long cool shower in the locker room and Thankfully they have several washrooms that are air conditioned so i would wet myself down and stand in front of the AC , didn't start to feel better until the 15th.....

pricing even in summer offseason has exploded with Covid.
                        Pre Covid We used to play both TPC courses and get a lunch in between for about $150 US, last 2 summers they wanted over $300 for Stadium alone. We do still play TPC Champions course for around $80 (was $40-$50 pre covid) our group prefers it to the stadium anyways.

WeKoPa pre covid was always $80/round. Summer before last iirc we paid $260 for to play 36
                        Grayhawk and Wildfire went up as well, from $40-$60/round pre covid and we paid $150/round last summer.....bith venues with 36 holes were packed even with the heat.

This year we plan to stay out in the West end where its a bit cheaper and there are several good courses at a better price

Comment

• luvtapar88
                          Club Pro
                          • Mar 7, 2018
                          • Toronto

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Thats oppressive !

We did 36 at TPC Stadium one September and it was 110*F. Had 5 or 6 groups and teed off starting about 630am. I made a fatal error in deciding to drink with a buddy from Kentucky who was 20 years younger and 125 pounds heavier. After about 4-5 tall boys during the morning round and a large chimichanga for lunch I felt horrible for the afternoon 18 when we teed off at noon in peak heat. Took a long cool shower in the locker room and Thankfully they have several washrooms that are air conditioned so i would wet myself down and stand in front of the AC , didn't start to feel better until the 15th.....

Pre Covid We used to play both TPC courses and get a lunch in between for about $150 US, last 2 summers they wanted over $300 for Stadium alone. We do still play TPC Champions course for around $80 (was $40-$50 pre covid) our group prefers it to the stadium anyways.

WeKoPa pre covid was always $80/round. Summer before last iirc we paid $260 for to play 36
                          Grayhawk and Wildfire went up as well, from $40-$60/round pre covid and we paid $150/round last summer.....bith venues with 36 holes were packed even with the heat.

This year we plan to stay out in the West end where its a bit cheaper and there are several good courses at a better price
                          Both my trips were pre Covid, and from a pricing perspective were a no brainer, first year we went was 2018 I believe, we played: Troon, TPC, We Ko Pa and Boulders, with 6 night accommodation was $850 USD per golfer.

Comment

• ajrosent
                            High Handicapper
                            • Aug 9, 2023

We are going next summer and were on the phone for many hours the day things opened for booking and were lucky to get our week. That was 18 months ahead

Bandon Dunes is worse, pretty much booked for 2 years ahead.....it was fantastic however, can't imagine any place better
                            Yes I did Bandon last summer - incredible!

Comment

• ajrosent
                              High Handicapper
                              • Aug 9, 2023

Thats oppressive !

Im leaving Wed and playing Weko/Grayhalk/Raven
                              I played Gray in April was 425$ - im paying 95$ on Friday

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X