• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeyLamac
    Duffer
    • Apr 14, 2006

Rocky crest resort vs Treetops resort

Hi All,

Planning a golf trip for July. Narrowed it down to rocky crest in Muskoka and treetops resort in Michigan. Been doing lots of reading about several resorts, but i would like a specific comparison between the 2 resorts as the prices I was quoted are roughly the same and the logistics for both work well for my group. The rocky crest package comes with golf at grandview, lake Joseph, and rocky crest. Treetops is all the courses at the resort. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
  • TheBananaSlice
    Tour Pro
    • Dec 12, 2004
    • Durham Region

I would do Treetops every time. I’ve never stayed at either resort (I’ve heard Treetops is dated) but the courses are much better than the Muskoka ones. Honestly surprised that the Treetops package doesn’t beat Clublink on price. Gaylord Mi has some great value in comparison to Canada.

Comment

• 51Phantom
      Tour Pro
      • May 10, 2007
      • Toronto

I don't know if the Treetops courses would be considered better. They are very good, pretty difficult. They are monstrous courses IMO with crazy elevation changes.
      For the experience, I would say Treetops, mainly because you are staying on-site for the most part ( all but one course is a 5-10 min drive from the accommodations).
      Accommodations are a bit dated at Treetops but for a guy's golf trip, they are just fine.
      I'd be curious as to the price you are being offered in Ontario. Surprised the two would be close in price.
      I will be back to Treetops at the end of July.

Comment

• arogal
        Scratch Golfer
        • Aug 13, 2019
        • Keed Boje
        • VP Of Operations

I'd also consider Boyne MI. Know a group of guys that have been doing the trip for almost 20 years. They did 1 year at treetops a couple years for a change and will not go back.
        The Highlands at Harbor Springs includes Bay Harbor, Crooked Tree, The Heather, Arthur Hills, Donald Ross, and The Moore.
        If you go end of August into Sept they match the CAD with USD.
        Lots of different packages available, but the one they do is 6 nights and 11 rounds and it works out to being around $1700 CAD. This includes 2 rounds at Bay Harbor which would be $1000 for golf alone.
        Driver: Ping G410 Plus
        Woods: Cobra Speedzone 3 Wood
        Hybrid: Ping G425 3 Hybrid
        Irons: Mizuno Pro 245 KBS Tour 120S
        Wedges: Ping Glide3 50.12, Ping Glide4 54.12, Ping Glide3 58.10
        Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4
        Ball: TM TP5/Srixon Z Star

Comment

• spas1
          Tour Pro
          • Aug 25, 2009
          • Mississauga

The Rocky Crest resort itself is very old and dated. I would not stay there again. The only benefit is you get to play RC, Lake Joe, and Grandview.

Comment

• zshereck
            Scratch Golfer
            • Jun 3, 2017
            • Thornhill
            • Real Estate Development

Having played at both, I would say Treetops. The Rocky Crest resort might have a slight edge, but neither are top notch facilities anyways. In terms of golf, Rocky is the only course of the 3 in Muskoka that is at the same level in my opinion, Treetops pretty handily beats out the other two. Muskoka is also far less convenient to play all the different courses. If you are staying on site at Rocky Crest, Grandview is over an hour away, and Lake Jo is still ~30 minute drive. Treetops has one course on site at the resort, and all the others at Treetops North which is only ~5 minutes away. I believe they offer a shuttle if you pre-arrange it, but not 100% sure on that.

Also pretty surprised that the pricing is comparable, from my experience I have always seen Rocky was significantly more expensive. Are you being quoted the same number of rounds at each?

Comment

• spas1
              Tour Pro
              • Aug 25, 2009
              • Mississauga

Originally posted by zshereck View Post
              Having played at both, I would say Treetops. The Rocky Crest resort might have a slight edge, but neither are top notch facilities anyways. In terms of golf, Rocky is the only course of the 3 in Muskoka that is at the same level in my opinion, Treetops pretty handily beats out the other two. Muskoka is also far less convenient to play all the different courses. If you are staying on site at Rocky Crest, Grandview is over an hour away, and Lake Jo is still ~30 minute drive. Treetops has one course on site at the resort, and all the others at Treetops North which is only ~5 minutes away. I believe they offer a shuttle if you pre-arrange it, but not 100% sure on that.

Also pretty surprised that the pricing is comparable, from my experience I have always seen Rocky was significantly more expensive. Are you being quoted the same number of rounds at each?
              ^^^^ This - that is an excellent point - none of the courses are close to each other.

We really need a "Like" button

Comment

• JoeyLamac
                Duffer
                • Apr 14, 2006

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all this information. It is great and exactly the reason why I posted on this forum.

So in terms of price, Rocky and Treetops are fairly close. Rocky quoted me approx. CAD $1000 per person which includes accommodations and 1 round at Lake Joe's, 1 at Grandview, and 1 at Rocky Crest. We will do 36 on 2 of the days, but the only additional charge for this will be a cart fee (about $30). The replay can only be booked after the completion of the 1st round. If I want to guarantee the tee times I will have to pay the $160 greens fee to book in advance. Worst case if we can't get back on Rocky or Lake Joe's without prebooking maybe we head over to Seguin Valley. So let's call the 5 rounds in the Muskoka trip max $1200, min $1000.

Treetops: CAD $1300 includes accommodations and 5 rounds. 1 round at each of the courses on the property. We are traveling from the GTA, so also factor in gas will be about 3x as much as a Muskoka trip.

This trip is for my 40th birthday and is all about the golf experience. It's a guy's trip and no one is going to be picky about the state of the hotel rooms as long and they are clean and we can comfortably rest. The most important factor of this trip to me is the golf has to be as exceptional as possible in our price range. This is the determining factor; to get the best possible golf for about $1500 CAD.

I understand there are better places to travel to that would provide more memorable golf, but my group can't get into the $2000 to $3000 price range.

As always I look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

• 51Phantom
                  Tour Pro
                  • May 10, 2007
                  • Toronto

Originally posted by JoeyLamac View Post
                  Hi All,

Thank you so much for all this information. It is great and exactly the reason why I posted on this forum.

So in terms of price, Rocky and Treetops are fairly close. Rocky quoted me approx. CAD $1000 per person which includes accommodations and 1 round at Lake Joe's, 1 at Grandview, and 1 at Rocky Crest. We will do 36 on 2 of the days, but the only additional charge for this will be a cart fee (about $30). The replay can only be booked after the completion of the 1st round. If I want to guarantee the tee times I will have to pay the $160 greens fee to book in advance. Worst case if we can't get back on Rocky or Lake Joe's without prebooking maybe we head over to Seguin Valley. So let's call the 5 rounds in the Muskoka trip max $1200, min $1000.

Treetops: CAD $1300 includes accommodations and 5 rounds. 1 round at each of the courses on the property. We are traveling from the GTA, so also factor in gas will be about 3x as much as a Muskoka trip.

This trip is for my 40th birthday and is all about the golf experience. It's a guy's trip and no one is going to be picky about the state of the hotel rooms as long and they are clean and we can comfortably rest. The most important factor of this trip to me is the golf has to be as exceptional as possible in our price range. This is the determining factor; to get the best possible golf for about $1500 CAD.

I understand there are better places to travel to that would provide more memorable golf, but my group can't get into the $2000 to $3000 price range.

Thanks,

Joe
                  I assume that is a weekend price? We are going Sunday with a Wednesday morning check out with 5 rounds with breakfast included for $941 Canadian.

Comment

• JoeyLamac
                    Duffer
                    • Apr 14, 2006

Originally posted by 51Phantom View Post

I assume that is a weekend price? We are going Sunday with a Wednesday morning check out with 5 rounds with breakfast included for $941 Canadian.
                    Correct. Arrive on a Friday, and leave on a Tuesday.

Comment

• zshereck
                      Scratch Golfer
                      • Jun 3, 2017
                      • Thornhill
                      • Real Estate Development

Originally posted by JoeyLamac View Post
                      Hi All,

Thanks,

Joe
                      Seems like the big price differences are coming from the free replays. Might be challenging to get those times day of if you are a 4 ball, especially on a summer weekend. If you have to pay for those extra rounds then the price difference is negligible.

I would say the inconvenience of driving between each of the Muskoka courses is a huge negative. Treetops is a longer initial drive, but it is much more convenient once you are there. At the end of the day it will come down to personal preference. Having played both I would sooner go back to Treetops, but both would be great experiences.

Comment

• okgndave
                        Tour Pro
                        • Aug 15, 2019

Originally posted by zshereck View Post

Having played both I would sooner go back to Treetops,
                        Agree.

Also Treetops is a bit more a special trip IMO. Can go to Muskoka anytime.

Comment

• ajrosent
                          High Handicapper
                          • Aug 9, 2023

From a golf perspective, Rocky is fantastic (and very very walkable if you are into walking) Grandview is solid but 45 min away at least -

Lake Joe is a bad golf course and always very very very very very wet and unenjoyable (I'm a Clublink member so I dont pay and I will never play Joe again most likely)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X