Collapse

please explain net double for handicap, please.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • figital
    Mid Handicapper
    • Aug 9, 2021
    • Hamilton
    • artist

please explain net double for handicap, please.

could someone explain to me how the net double rule works for handicaps?

i think it's score a 7 on a par 4, mark a 7 on the actual score card, but only a 6 for when it gets submitted to golf canada?
    is that correct? or am i missing something? thanks!
  • Jeffc
    Tour Pro
    • Aug 16, 2005
    • Ottawa
    • Minister of Sarcasm

• A limit of Net Double Bogey on the maximum hole score (for handicapping purposes only). Net Double Bogey will replace the previous Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) procedure for determining the maximum hole score.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3F...vUvRwH&index=5
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• Weirfan
      Tour Pro
      • Dec 9, 2005

net double bogey is the MAXIMUM score you can take on a hole when posting scores for handicap purposes.

It depends on your handicap index and the handicap of the hole you are playing.

if you are a 10 handicap playing a par 4 that is the #6 handicap hole then if you shoot a 8 on that hole your score entered for handicap purposes would be the 7, double bogey plus 1 handicap stroke based on your course handicap.

Likewise if you were playing the 14 handicap hole, say another par 4 and again you shot an 8, you would enter a 6 for scoring purposes as you do not get any handicap strokes on the #14 h/c hole.

simplified net double bogey = par plus 2 strokes plus handicap strokes received based on course handicap.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• aaagc
        Tour Pro
        • Sep 2, 2005

Originally posted by figital View Post
        could someone explain to me how the net double rule works for handicaps?

i think it's score a 7 on a par 4, mark a 7 on the actual score card, but only a 6 for when it gets submitted to golf canada?
        is that correct? or am i missing something? thanks!
        You first have to consider whether you get a stroke/shot on the hole. It depends on your handicap and what the Stroke Index is (ie if it is a stroke hole').

Essentially once you reach the point where you can't score any stableford points, that is when you are at 'net double bogey'.
        Enter the number of strokes you have taken. Golf Canada software should take care of it after that.

But be careful, the handicap system is based on Course Handicap but your Playing Handicap is used for competition results.

I don't how your software handles 'hole not finished' as opposed to 'hole not started' but I guess someone here can tell you about that.
        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

• figital
          Mid Handicapper
          • Aug 9, 2021
          • Hamilton
          • artist

thanks for the info and the tips!!

Comment

• OKHC
            Tour Pro
            • Nov 15, 2008

If you're unsure of the math for 'net double bogey': when you enter your score into the Golf Canada system, enter it hole-by-hole, rather than one figure for 18 holes. The system will do the 'net double bogey' math for you.
            Last edited by OKHC; Jan 10, 2024, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• nomullies
              Tour Pro
              • Jul 27, 2010
              • Mississauga
              • Divot Filler

The odd time I play with a guy that throws the "I'm maxed out on this hole" and picks up. Ya, ok. Always makes me laugh. If you shoot a 10, it's a 10. The handicap stuff is secondary.

Comment

• OKHC
                Tour Pro
                • Nov 15, 2008

Would you prefer that he take 2 more minutes to finish out his 13th stroke?

Comment

• nomullies
                  Tour Pro
                  • Jul 27, 2010
                  • Mississauga
                  • Divot Filler

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                  Would you prefer that he take 2 more minutes to finish out his 13th stroke?
                  Nope. I'd give him the four footer for par. Suffered enough.

Comment

• Weirfan
                    Tour Pro
                    • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                    The odd time I play with a guy that throws the "I'm maxed out on this hole" and picks up. Ya, ok. Always makes me laugh. If you shoot a 10, it's a 10. The handicap stuff is secondary.
                    I play with folks that are like that as well. They will stop or pick up once they reach their net double bogey. I suppose that is the max they can take for handicap purposes but as you say a 10 is a 10 , not a 6 .

there is an official score and a post round adjusted score. What's worse is these folks often will add the scorecard up after the round and use the net doubles they carded instead of triples and quads and brag they shot an 83. ......when it was more like a 91.

play each hole out , let the GAO system make the adjustment afterwards.

Comment

• Smittyman
                      Tour Pro
                      • Dec 19, 2013
                      • Richmond Hill

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I play with folks that are like that as well. They will stop or pick up once they reach their net double bogey. I suppose that is the max they can take for handicap purposes but as you say a 10 is a 10 , not a 6 .

there is an official score and a post round adjusted score. What's worse is these folks often will add the scorecard up after the round and use the net doubles they carded instead of triples and quads and brag they shot an 83. ......when it was more like a 91.

Agree, but most of the guys who do that aren't shooting 91 to begin with.

Comment

• johnny canuck
                        Tour Pro
                        • Jan 6, 2010
                        • Perth, Australia

We play a lot of stableford club competitions over here. The most that you can have on a hole is net bogey, net double if you get a shot.

We have the same issue when guys try and claim they shot a certain number, when they didn't score on a hole.

That hole they wiped could have been anything, you can't claim a gross score if you don't finish a hole.

Comment

• nomullies
                          Tour Pro
                          • Jul 27, 2010
                          • Mississauga
                          • Divot Filler

Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post

We play a lot of stableford club competitions over here. The most that you can have on a hole is net bogey, net double if you get a shot.

We have the same issue when guys try and claim they shot a certain number, when they didn't score on a hole.

That hole they wiped could have been anything, you can't claim a gross score if you don't finish a hole.
                          I occasionally play with two guys who will do a timeout. That's what they call it. They're having a rough hole and pick up. At six usually. Great guys, but this drives me and a buddy nuts. There is usually nothing on the line and this isn't at all related to Handicap as virtually no one I play with calculates it. We console ourselves with the prize table comment.

Comment

• Weirfan
                            Tour Pro
                            • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post

I hear ya and have tried to learn to ignore it. I play with 5 regular groups that have as many as 25 guys. In 3 of the groups they are guys who don't track their handicaps. The other 2 groups are more serious , track their handicaps , play club and other events so abide by the rules of Golf.

I have to sometimes bite my tongue post round with the non rule playing groups. Once last summer had one friend say, you only beat me by 3 strokes. I'm thinking to myself, well you took a breakfast ball on the first hole, took a drop 150 yards up on the other side of a water hazard instead on in front and took lateral drops with only a 1 stroke penalty
                            ( no distance) on 2 balls you sprayed O/B off the tee, not to mention you took drops about 100 yards closer to the green than you should have
                            then there is the fluffing and rolling over of every ball to improve the lie.

I always say, if you aren't entering scores and keeping a handicap , play by whatever rules you like ( which I am going to guess 90% of golfers do) just don't say you shot this or that score

Comment

• johnny canuck
                              Tour Pro
                              • Jan 6, 2010
                              • Perth, Australia

I hear ya and have tried to learn to ignore it. I play with 5 regular groups that have as many as 25 guys. In 3 of the groups they are guys who don't track their handicaps. The other 2 groups are more serious , track their handicaps , play club and other events so abide by the rules of Golf.

I have to sometimes bite my tongue post round with the non rule playing groups. Once last summer had one friend say, you only beat me by 3 strokes. I'm thinking to myself, well you took a breakfast ball on the first hole, took a drop 150 yards up on the other side of a water hazard instead on in front and took lateral drops with only a 1 stroke penalty
                              ( no distance) on 2 balls you sprayed O/B off the tee, not to mention you took drops about 100 yards closer to the green than you should have
                              then there is the fluffing and rolling over of every ball to improve the lie.

I always say, if you aren't entering scores and keeping a handicap , play by whatever rules you like ( which I am going to guess 90% of golfers do) just don't say you shot this or that score

I fully agree with that and always crack up and bite my tongue when people compare scores.

We have one of our regular group who will lose two tee shots on par 4 and tell his scorer to "put me down for a 6" because it doesn't get him any stableford points and impact his game score, but it looks a lot better than having a dash on the hole.

We don't bite our tongue with him though.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X