Collapse

Rory's options in penalty area - learned something!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Playthru
    Tour Pro
    • Mar 12, 2010
    • Oakville
    • Retired

Rory's options in penalty area - learned something!

I thought I knew the rules and options from penalty area but I learned something watching Rory at the Cognizant yesterday.

I thought once you tried to come out of a penalty area and failed you had to keep trying to hit your ball from the penalty area. Instead I learned you still have the option to drop outside as Rory did. For example previously if I tried to hit a ball from the penalty area and buried it further in the grass I would keep trying to get it out. Now I know I still have the options that I had before making the stroke ( of course counting the failed attempt). Have to admit that after playing for 30 years did not know that until now!

Ball Still in Penalty Area after Stroke from Penalty Area

Q.My ball is still in the penalty area after a stroke from the penalty area – what are my options?

A.If you play a stroke from a penalty area and your ball remains in the penalty area, you have the same options for one penalty stroke that you had before making a stroke (see Rule 17.2a(1)). As an additional option, you may also choose to take relief for one penalty stroke using the reference point of the spot where you last made a stroke from outside the penalty area (see Rule 17.2a(2)).
  • Fore Warned
    Tour Pro
    • Dec 24, 2014

Originally posted by Playthru View Post

Ball Still in Penalty Area after Stroke from Penalty Area

Q.My ball is still in the penalty area after a stroke from the penalty area – what are my options?

As an additional option, you may also choose to take relief for one penalty stroke using the reference point of the spot where you last made a stroke from outside the penalty area (see Rule 17.2a(2)).
    Yes.....as useful as it is....it is still a real biatch to have to take a penalty stroke relief, after a failed, high risk "rescue" shot from inside a penalty area.

A very costly "unforced", course management mental error.

Usually comes with the sudden realization, immediately after seeing a massive failure to move the ball out of the area, or digging it in further, ..."Damnit all, I should have taken penalty relief in the first place".

However, I was not aware of the possibility of the additional option you point out.

I will have to make sure I remember that.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

• 4wedges
      Tour Pro
      • Jun 10, 2011
      • Barrie
      • bean counter

I learned something as well. Terrible hole for Rory though.

Comment

• Benz
        Tour Pro
        • Feb 7, 2010
        • Orillia
        • Retired (and living off investments...)

In fairness to the OP, plenty of times I've found my ball in a penalty area in a very playable lie.

In those cases, if my immediate objective is simply to get out of the penalty area then I would usually make an attempt. However, if the shot requires some finesse to hit a specific target or to clear a particular distance, then I would usually take the penalty in order to reduce/eliminate the risk, assuming that my drop left me with a good stance/lie.

That said, just because you can see some or all of the ball is not always sufficient reason to attempt a stroke.

Comment

• Ignatius Reilly
          Tour Pro
          • Nov 16, 2009
          • 401 / Ave Rd.
          • Health IT Consultant (retired)

Put me down as another one who just learned this. I too thought you just had to "keep on trying" but sometimes that was impossible so I should have known there would be a rule for it.

I'm interested in the rules and I pay attention to them but....... I'd rather spend my spare time on other things than becoming expert in them.

I won't forget this one though, it's a useful "out" when you've had a spot of bad luck trying to make a hopeful shot to get out of a penalty area.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

• Playthru
            Tour Pro
            • Mar 12, 2010
            • Oakville
            • Retired

Thanks for all the responses . Feel better knowing I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know this option. I can think of at least one occasion in a tournament when I made a big number trying to “ dig it out “.
            So thanks Rory. Your pain is our gain!

Comment

• Benz
              Tour Pro
              • Feb 7, 2010
              • Orillia
              • Retired (and living off investments...)

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
              Thanks for all the responses . Feel better knowing I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know this option. I can think of at least one occasion in a tournament when I made a big number trying to “ dig it out “.
              So thanks Rory. Your pain is our gain!
              Just curious, but did you think that because you could see it you had to play it?

Comment

• Playthru
                Tour Pro
                • Mar 12, 2010
                • Oakville
                • Retired

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Just curious, but did you think that because you could see it you had to play it?
                No not at all. I knew you had the option to drop outside with a penalty stroke and often do that. However, having decided to attempt to hit the ball and failing to get it out, I did not know you still had the option to drop the ball outside the penalty area.

Comment

• Weirfan
                  Tour Pro
                  • Dec 9, 2005

I personally, encountered a similar situation trying to hack out of a lateral at Wildfire on the GTA AM once, so was aware of Rory's option. Thankfully, an official was in the area and provided guidance to me. (And Rory , although I think he would know the rule)

one of many examples where knowing the rules can help you out.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• aaagc
                    Tour Pro
                    • Sep 2, 2005

Note the the caption to the Rule says

17.1 Options for Ball in Penalty Area

​It only says the ball is in the area not how it got there.
                    Last edited by aaagc; Mar 5, 2024, 11:03 AM.
                    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X