Collapse

Path to better scores - not making more birdies!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Weirfan
    Tour Pro
    • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

When we go to Michigan (Boyne) . . . my line is "Didn't drive 800 kms to lay up" . . . my friend says "Chickens don't play golf" . . .

My rule is, cut down on double bogie . . . that is how you lower your score. Still hard to do, there is always an opening in the trees . . .
    in the old days when things were less PC there was a saying I heard used

" did you come to play golf or wear a skirt "
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• luv2kruz
      Tour Pro
      • Aug 3, 2006
      • Mississauga
      • Retired from the rat race and hav'n fun now

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

But that was to goad your opponent into the hero shot so that their scores would balloon. Easy way to beat a guy without the mental fortitude to play the percentage shot. Kinda the whole point of the thread, which is to know when to be aggressive or not.
      Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

• Weirfan
        Tour Pro
        • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post

But that was to goad your opponent into the hero shot so that their scores would balloon. Easy way to beat a guy without the mental fortitude to play the percentage shot. Kinda the whole point of the thread, which is to know when to be aggressive or not.
        True, although I've heard players say it to themselves as well.

the good thing about getting old and not hitting the ball far now is those decisions are no longer in play
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Benz
          Tour Pro
          • Feb 7, 2010
          • Orillia
          • Retired (and living off investments...)

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

When I hear other guys say stuff like that, I double the bets...

Comment

• Jeffc
            Tour Pro
            • Aug 16, 2005
            • Ottawa
            • Minister of Sarcasm

So last night, I went out and shot 37 on the front 9, 6 pars, 2 bogeys and a bird. I also parred 10 but then we got rained out or I dare to say I may have shot one of my best rounds ever. It was one of those magical days where the ball went where I intended, some putts went in (13 putts on the front), I got up and down 4x and I couldn't miss the fairway, other than the first hole where I was stone cold and made bogey. The crazy thing is it could have been 2-3 shots better as I missed a few makeable birdie putts. I felt in total control.

I eliminated the big numbers and made a bird and lots of pars.

The funny thing is I played on Sunday and couldn't hit a thing in what was the worst game I have played in years and then go out and shoot the best 9 I have shot in years. Stupid game.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• luv2kruz
              Tour Pro
              • Aug 3, 2006
              • Mississauga
              • Retired from the rat race and hav'n fun now

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
              So last night, I went out and shot 37 on the front 9, 6 pars, 2 bogeys and a bird. I also parred 10 but then we got rained out or I dare to say I may have shot one of my best rounds ever. It was one of those magical days where the ball went where I intended, some putts went in (13 putts on the front), I got up and down 4x and I couldn't miss the fairway, other than the first hole where I was stone cold and made bogey. The crazy thing is it could have been 2-3 shots better as I missed a few makeable birdie putts. I felt in total control.

I eliminated the big numbers and made a bird and lots of pars.

The funny thing is I played on Sunday and couldn't hit a thing in what was the worst game I have played in years and then go out and shoot the best 9 I have shot in years. Stupid game.
              Interesting, but did you consciously do anything different or did it just happen that way? In my OP, I was talking about toning down the aggression with respect to targeting pins and making more conservative decisions when in trouble resulting in less bigger numbers. I'm a single digit player and doubles for me are really bad. The more I can turn those doubles into bogies takes a lot of pressure off to make birdies to compensate.
              Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

• Golftime
                Tour Pro
                • Mar 22, 2007
                • Fenwick & Oakville
                • Retired

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                Way back in the day, in the 70's Arnie put out a book called "Situation Golf' , (Situation Golf by Arnold Palmer | Goodreads​ )in which a scratch (or maybe a pro) , a mid capper and a high 'capper would play 9 holes and Arnie would suggest how each should play the holes. Basically, it was play conservatively for the mid and high cappers to prevent the big numbers. I probably still have the book, but the lesson stuck with me for most of the years I've been playing. Even way back when I was a id single digit 'cap, I had success at the club level, winning a few events playing that way. Unfortunately, these days while my strategy may be sound, my execution leaves something to be desired. It's tough to recover from a ball hit o.b.
                I still have the book and try to follow the advice in it. It has worked well over the years.
                Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

• Golftime
                  Tour Pro
                  • Mar 22, 2007
                  • Fenwick & Oakville
                  • Retired

I just finished reading Dr Bob Rotella's book, "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect". It is dated but the messages are still very valid. Before reading it I was off to the worst start to a season in over a decade. Once I incorporated some of his thoughts the scores got much better and the game was fun again. He talks a lot about confidence, composure, and being realistic. Those all lead to making fewer bad holes.
                  Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

• Jeffc
                    Tour Pro
                    • Aug 16, 2005
                    • Ottawa
                    • Minister of Sarcasm

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post

Interesting, but did you consciously do anything different or did it just happen that way? In my OP, I was talking about toning down the aggression with respect to targeting pins and making more conservative decisions when in trouble resulting in less bigger numbers. I'm a single digit player and doubles for me are really bad. The more I can turn those doubles into bogies takes a lot of pressure off to make birdies to compensate.
                    A couple of things.

I hit 3 wood off of every tee. I am very consistent with that club and it eliminates the big miss and usually takes the trouble out of play. It also goes almost as far as my driver. That being said, I normally only hit driver on a few holes on any 9.

I also played more conservatively on a number of shots. There was no going for it on a couple of par 5's even though I was about 225yds out which is reachable for me but brings a lot of trouble into play.

Depending on the distance, I either went for the flag (100 yds or so in) or played it a bit safer.

That all being said, everything seemed to be working that day, tee to green. And my putting has been excellent of late.

Comment

• Jeffc
                      Tour Pro
                      • Aug 16, 2005
                      • Ottawa
                      • Minister of Sarcasm

Originally posted by Golftime View Post
                      I just finished reading Dr Bob Rotella's book, "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect". It is dated but the messages are still very valid. Before reading it I was off to the worst start to a season in over a decade. Once I incorporated some of his thoughts the scores got much better and the game was fun again. He talks a lot about confidence, composure, and being realistic. Those all lead to making fewer bad holes.
                      I try and tell a friend of mine this. He gets way too upset when he either hits a bad shot, or gets a good result from an ok shot. It gets in his head that every shot has to be the way he intended rather than thinking about going with what you have that day and trying to score even when you know you don't have your best stuff.

Comment

• ARL67
                        Tour Pro
                        • Apr 11, 2009
                        • Thornbury / Owen Sound

At home in my Sim I strive for quality contact. On the course too, however it never works out that way as it does in my Sim. I am amazed how well one can score with mostly "imperfect" contact. As long as the ball is advancing forward at a suitable distance for the club in hand, get on or very near the green, then a chip and a 1 or 2 putt, the score-card can look pretty good still.
                        🍍 2024 WITB 🍍​
                        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                        Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
                        Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                        Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews