• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AverageJoe
    Tour Pro
    • Apr 12, 2009
    • Toronto

Rent camera lenses?

Anyone know a place in York Region for camera lens rentals?

I know Henry's does it, but they don't actually have the lenses...they order from a place in T.O.

Anyone know of any that actually have the lenses up this way?
  • Borbor
    Tour Pro
    • Aug 10, 2009
    • Downtown

Re: Rent camera lenses?

gotta go down to either vistek or headshots.

Comment

• AverageJoe
      Tour Pro
      • Apr 12, 2009
      • Toronto

Originally posted by Borbor View Post
      gotta go down to either vistek or headshots.
      ahhh...that's what I was trying to avoid. I know Henry's gets their stuff from headshots and I wanted to avoid that, but if those are the only options well then those are the only options.

Thanks Borbor.

Comment

• Oakbridge
        Tour Pro
        • Oct 18, 2008
        • Oakville ON
        • Computer Consultant for small businesses that use Macs

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
        ahhh...that's what I was trying to avoid. I know Henry's gets their stuff from headshots and I wanted to avoid that, but if those are the only options well then those are the only options.

Thanks Borbor.
        Vistek. Everything is in stock, prices are reasonable and they have some great stuff.

Comment

• ProAc_Fan
          Tour Pro
          • Aug 22, 2008
          • Ontario
          • Photographer

Not sure if this is a viable option for you but I'll admit to buying a lens I needed for a one time gig and then returning it the next day. As long as you return it in mint condition just as you received it it's fine.

Mike
          Whats in the bag

Driver: Titliest 905R Graphite Design YS-6+ shaft R flex
          Fairways: Sonartec NP-99 14* and 19* Aldila shafts
          Irons: Ping S59
          Wedges: Titliest Vokey Chrome Tour, Wilson staff
          Putter: Odyssey 2 ball SRT
          Ball: Probably yours
          Shoe: Adidas Tour 360 2.0's ( Yes the ugly blue/white/orange ones)

Comment

• Oakbridge
            Tour Pro
            • Oct 18, 2008
            • Oakville ON

Originally posted by ProAc_Fan View Post
            Not sure if this is a viable option for you but I'll admit to buying a lens I needed for a one time gig and then returning it the next day. As long as you return it in mint condition just as you received it it's fine.

Mike
            And how would you feel if you were that person that saved their money to buy what they thought was a brand new lens only to discover that someone had used it already.

I'm sorry but what you did was not a classy move. Especially when places make it so easy to rent.

Comment

• Ignatius Reilly
              Tour Pro
              • Nov 16, 2009
              • 401 / Ave Rd.
              • Health IT Consultant (retired)

Originally posted by Oakbridge View Post
              And how would you feel if you were that person that saved their money to buy what they thought was a brand new lens only to discover that someone had used it already.

I'm sorry but what you did was not a classy move. Especially when places make it so easy to rent.
              +1

"pay for what you get". It's not that difficult a concept.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

• ProAc_Fan
                Tour Pro
                • Aug 22, 2008
                • Ontario
                • Photographer

Originally posted by Oakbridge View Post

Seriously? You think the lens you buy has never been mounted or fired before? Lmfao We aren't talking about underwear here. And just for some context I was out of town shooting my daughters recital when my 200 2.8 lens decided to stop focussing. My lens is under warranty so I knew I'd be sending it to Nikon for repair. I needed that glass so there was a local henrys nearby. Popped in and bought another one. Used it for the 2 hrs I needed it and returned it on my way home. Like most people, I take wonderful care of my glass and I have 10 yr old lenses I could repackage and you couldn't tell it wasnt unused. These aren't golf clubs where physical damage occurs.

Mike
                Whats in the bag

Comment

• Sergio
                  Tour Pro
                  • Mar 5, 2012
                  • Toronto

These aren't golf clubs where physical damage occurs.
                  You may have done it out of desperate need, as you explained, but you shouldn't be recommending it. Your last statement is ridiculous.

Comment

• Oakbridge
                    Tour Pro
                    • Oct 18, 2008
                    • Oakville ON

Seriously? You think the lens you buy has never been mounted or fired before? Lmfao We aren't talking about underwear here. And just for some context I was out of town shooting my daughters recital when my 200 2.8 lens decided to stop focussing. My lens is under warranty so I knew I'd be sending it to Nikon for repair. I needed that glass so there was a local henrys nearby. Popped in and bought another one. Used it for the 2 hrs I needed it and returned it on my way home. Like most people, I take wonderful care of my glass and I have 10 yr old lenses I could repackage and you couldn't tell it wasnt unused. These aren't golf clubs where physical damage occurs.

Mike
                    How about simply because it is fraud? You purchased something to use it, knowing that you were going to return it. We're talking about a $1200 lens here? Even worse if it was the VR lens at $2200.

What would you have done if while you had the lens and it had become damaged? Perhaps it was accidentally knocked and there was a slight barely noticeable nick on the barrel? Would you still have returned it? What if a family member accidentally knocked the camera bag over with the lens in it and they thought, "he's going to return it, I won't say anything".

I'm sorry, but if I'm spending a thousand bucks on a lens (or $2200) I don't want to be buying something that someone used as their own personal rental inventory.

Comment

• Bern
                      Tour Pro
                      • Jul 24, 2009

I love how people rationalize thing. A retailers dream you are.

Comment

• ProAc_Fan
                        Tour Pro
                        • Aug 22, 2008
                        • Ontario
                        • Photographer

Wow I wish I was as morally pure as some of you guys. If I'd simply returned the lens because I found it to be soft in the corners or it didn't focus fast enough for my needs would that be okay with you priests? People return items for all sorts of reasons. Just cause I knew I'd be returning it that somehow makes me the ogre?

Oh and if I'd damaged it obviously I would have been stuck keeping it. Another brilliant question btw.

Mike
                        Whats in the bag

Comment

• landlord
                          Tour Pro
                          • Mar 27, 2006
                          • East York

So let me get this straight -- the new morality is get away with whatever you can get away with?

Is that the same as cheating at golf because no one will see?

Comment

• Bern
                            Tour Pro
                            • Jul 24, 2009

Wow I wish I was as morally pure as some of you guys. If I'd simply returned the lens because I found it to be soft in the corners or it didn't focus fast enough for my needs would that be okay with you priests? People return items for all sorts of reasons. Just cause I knew I'd be returning it that somehow makes me the ogre?

Oh and if I'd damaged it obviously I would have been stuck keeping it. Another brilliant question btw.

Mike
                            Come on Mike,

No one is calling you immoral, just pointing out it is what it is. You are exploiting the generosity of the store to consume something for free. They provide an option for you to rent which would seem to be the way to go. I get that you already had the lens, and you were getting it fixed under warranty. That would suck, just give up on trying to rationalize it. Hell, given that you were getting a lens under warranty, maybe they would have given you a freebee.

Comment

• Borbor
                              Tour Pro
                              • Aug 10, 2009
                              • Downtown

Take your thread-jacks elsewhere folks.

Hardly helping the OP.

OP: the third option (these guys slipped my mind because I've never used em; but a photographer that I know quite well from my travels swear by them) http://lensrentalscanada.com/

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X