• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arthur Dailey
    Tour Pro
    • Sep 5, 2013
    • Gallifrey

U.K. General Election

The Labour Party wins the UK general election.

Excerpts from an A.P. profile on their leader and the new P.M.
    Compare and contrast his background and experience with the political leaders of the major parties in Canada and the USA.

Jill Lawless -The Associated Press

For someone often derided as dull, Keir Starmer has delivered a sensational election result. The 61-year-old Starmer led Labour to a landslide victory.

Born in 1963, Starmer is the son of a toolmaker and a nurse who named him after Keir Hardie, the Labour Party’s first leader. One of four children, he was raised in a cash-strapped household in a small town outside London.

“There were hard times,” he said in a speech launching his election campaign. “I know what out-of-control inflation feels like, how the rising cost of living can make you scared of the postman coming down the path: ‘Will he bring another bill we can’t afford?’”

Starmer’s mother suffered from a chronic illness, Still’s disease, that left her in pain, and Starmer has said that visiting her in the hospital and helping to care for her helped form his strong support for the state-funded National Health Service.

He was the first member of his family to go to college, studying law at Leeds University and Oxford. As a lawyer, he took civil liberties cases including that of the “McLibel Two,” green activists sued by McDonald’s for handing out leaflets saying the restaurant chain sold unhealthy food.

His switch to become chief prosecutor in 2008 surprised some colleagues. But during five years in the job he gained a reputation as a tough and hard-working director of public prosecutions, a role that included prosecuting people charged with terrorism, organized crime and other serious offenses.

Starmer entered politics relatively late, in his 50s, and was elected to Parliament in 2015. He often disagreed with the party leader at the time.

He said he wanted to stay and fight to change Labour, arguing that “leaders are temporary, but political parties are permanent.”

Starmer promised “a culture change in the Labour Party.” His mantra is “country before party.”

“While I don’t think anyone is particularly excited about Keir Starmer, I think he has done a good job of situating himself as the kind of competent grown up in the room who is going to be able to bring government back to where it belongs,” said Lise Butler, senior lecturer in modern history at City University of London.
  • Fredk
    Tour Pro
    • Oct 5, 2010

The vote share shift last night is interesting. Labour gained less than 2% greater popular vote, but the change in distribution handed them a landslide of seats.

The Reform party gained 12% of the popular vote, but only two seats. Exit polls projected 13 seats. It looks like Reform siphoned off the far right vote and cost the Conservatives a lot of seats.

The Liberal democrats gained around 3.5% in popular vote, but again, it got them a large number of seats.

Lots of people stayed home yesterday as well leading to one of the lowest turnouts ever. I wonder if more right leaning voters stayed home than left leaning voters?
    In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
    and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• IrishGuy1979
      Tour Pro
      • May 19, 2014
      • TO
      • counting things

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
      The Reform party gained 12% of the popular vote, but only two seats. Exit polls projected 13 seats.
      They ended up with four seats.

edit: up to 5 now after a recount
      Last edited by IrishGuy1979; Jul 5, 2024, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Bellyhungry
        Tour Pro
        • May 25, 2005
        • Queens Fort

I did not realize Rishi Sunak is only 5'6". I always wonder why he wore those super skinny pants that make him look more like a court jester than a PM.

Comment

• Fredk
          Tour Pro
          • Oct 5, 2010

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post

They ended up with four seats.

edit: up to 5 now after a recount
          Yeah, last night the BBC had them with four and then this morning they showed two. Still far short of the 13 exit polls indicated.
          In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
          and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• Bosco
            Tour Pro
            • Dec 5, 2007
            • TO
            • Employed

The final votes in Britain's parliamentary elections are still being counted, but one thing is crystal clear: After 14 years in power, the Conservative Party...

Comment

• Ignatius Reilly
              Tour Pro
              • Nov 16, 2009
              • 401 / Ave Rd.
              • Health IT Consultant (retired)

That pretty much sums up the state of things there, here, and in the US.

Anger is not a policy.

Bland is, in fact, good when it comes to leading a country (although promoting crypto while smoking a hookah was "exciting").

You don't really want to live in "interesting times".
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

• Arthur Dailey
                Tour Pro
                • Sep 5, 2013
                • Gallifrey

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

That pretty much sums up the state of things there, here, and in the US.

Anger is not a policy.

Bland is, in fact, good when it comes to leading a country (although promoting crypto while smoking a hookah was "exciting").

You don't really want to live in "interesting times".
                "Bland works." Said by a very competent Premier. Possibly while chewing on his pipe.

Comment

• Benz
                  Tour Pro
                  • Feb 7, 2010
                  • Orillia
                  • Retired (and living off investments...)

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                  I did not realize Rishi Sunak is only 5'6". I always wonder why he wore those super skinny pants that make him look more like a court jester than a PM.
                  Donald Trump claims to be 6'3", so height is not exactly a meaningful barometer of a politicians skills or intelligence.

Comment

• rgk5
                    Tour Pro
                    • Nov 2, 2004
                    • Hamilton, Ontario. Edmond, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, California
                    • Retired High School History Teacher

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Donald Trump claims to be 6'3", so height is not exactly a meaningful barometer of a politicians skills or intelligence.
                    He is not 6' 3". Remember when Tiger was supposedly 6' 1"? I stood 10 feet from him at Glen Abbey and I was easily taller at 6' 1". Press coverage embellishment for both men.
                    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                    Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 18* 5-wood, Ventus Blue 50 A
                    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

Fun Set: MacGregor Nicklaus JNP Forged, 4-pw, DG S300
                    TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

• Arthur Dailey
                      Tour Pro
                      • Sep 5, 2013
                      • Gallifrey

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

He is not 6' 3". Remember when Tiger was supposedly 6' 1"? I stood 10 feet from him at Glen Abbey and I was easily taller at 6' 1". Press coverage embellishment for both men.
                      Measurements by Vince McMahon.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X