• focal
    Tour Pro
    • Apr 18, 2005
    • Toronto

Re: MorEnergy - taking door to door scamming up a notch

can I speak to the "boss" - put my daughter on the line

can I speak to the Mr or Mrs - put my daughter on the line

----

lately I've been taking calls a little longer on the phone at home. if I didn't i'd miss the calls from Bell and Rogers that reviewed my account and offered even better deals than I currently have.

although the obvious duct cleaner ones are promptly hung up on

Comment

• Kace
      Tour Pro
      • Jul 31, 2006
      • Kitchener, ON

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
      Ah yes, the I am bored so lets play a bit call/ door bell. I have done that before.

My favourite was with the newspaper home delivery sales. After awhile I always led to no, I travel alot, and do not want papers piled up at my door to let the nighbourhood know the house has been empty a few days.

Typical response that I can call and put it on hold. My response is I will forget so I will sign up if you can only deliver when I am home and it is up to you to figure that out.

After several seconds of puzzlement trying to understand what I has asked the sales call comes to a quick end.
      I get calls all the time for the local paper. My response is always "No thanks, I have the internet."
      Mike R.

Comment

• unskinnybop99
        Tour Pro
        • Jan 29, 2007

For phone calls, play the "phone line is not working" strategy

Say "Hello"....they start talking
        Say "Hello" again....they keep talking
        Say "Hello" again and then hang up

It is quick, easy and guilt-free.......

Comment

• focal
          Tour Pro
          • Apr 18, 2005
          • Toronto

Originally posted by unskinnybop99 View Post
          For phone calls, play the "phone line is not working" strategy

Say "Hello"....they start talking
          Say "Hello" again....they keep talking
          Say "Hello" again and then hang up

It is quick, easy and guilt-free.......

speak in your native language
          Last edited by focal; Feb 23, 2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• IAAFM
            Scratch Golfer
            • Jun 22, 2006
            • TORONTO

Originally posted by LawKid View Post
            How I deal with these intrusive calls depends on my mood.

I usually have no time and they get a quick "no thank you". Oddly enough, they usually go away at that point (look at my name and you can figure out what I do for a living - I guess I have an emphatic "no" that doesn't get questioned haha).

BUT, every now and then when I'm bored and I get a call selling something useless, I make them praddle on and on - a combination of speakerphone and mute does the trick. Typically, they have instructions not to hang up first; they have to wait until you hang up first. This one woman called a while ago, I can't even remember what she was selling. I let her go on for her entire pitch, maybe 5 minutes, then said "no thanks, but I just wanted to hear you go through your entire sales pitch". She got super pissed at *me* and accused me of wasting her time.

I remember now, it was a customer sales call for Rogers. Yes, Rogers outsources customer satisfaction calls.

Anyway, then the awkward silence, because I refused to hang up first! Seriously, 60 seconds of dead time before she finally hung up.

Then I got to call Rogers, and complain to them about their customer satisfaction survey callers' attitudes. Two free ROD movies later... haha.

Don't cold call me when I'm bored!

P.S. I also have to deal with the folks soliciting on the downtown sidewalks for things like CCF, World Vision, etc. They have an interesting tactic, which is to say to passersby, "Will you talk to me for a second", rather than coming off as a salesperson. I always respond with a smile and say "Of course, as long as you promise not to ask me to sign up for anything". They never want to just talk!

They always ask for your postal code and other information to confirm your account and I always refuse to give it to them stating I have no way of veryifying you are from Rogers and I don't feel comfortable giving away personal information over the phone. They cant proceed and therefore phone call is over.

Comment

• Secam
              Tour Pro
              • Aug 30, 2010
              • At My Computer

Next week our land line home phone is being disconnected. We don't need a land line anymore. I can save the $50 per month and put it towards golf.

Everyone in my family has a cell phone which I'm also paying for, so the home phone is redundant.

The home phone and the unsolicited sales calls that go with it are history. Doubt you'll find anyone under 30 who owns a land line phone.

Comment

• focal
                Tour Pro
                • Apr 18, 2005
                • Toronto

Originally posted by Secam View Post
                Next week our land line home phone is being disconnected. We don't need a land line anymore. I can save the $50 per month and put it towards golf.

Everyone in my family has a cell phone which I'm also paying for, so the home phone is redundant.

The home phone and the unsolicited sales calls that go with it are history. Doubt you'll find anyone under 30 who owns a land line phone.
                did you buy this phone system? it's meant for households like yours

personally I have a home line with zero features, so the price is under $20. Reasonable for the peace of mind using a hardwire phone system

Comment

• Secam
                  Tour Pro
                  • Aug 30, 2010
                  • At My Computer

Originally posted by focal View Post
                  did you buy this phone system? it's meant for households like yours

personally I have a home line with zero features, so the price is under $20. Reasonable for the peace of mind using a hardwire phone system
                  That's pretty cool! The wife ain't big on using her cell phone at home, but she hates answering all those sales calls even more.

I see that it's on sale at Bestbuy this week for $99. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X