• Show
Clear All
  • mpare
    Tour Pro
    • May 11, 2007
    • Etobicoke, Ontario
    • Retired

Brooke at the Meijer LPGA Classic

While I didn't watch the coverage (assuming there was any), I did see that Brooke Henderson had an excellent day yesterday. After bogeying the 7th hole to go one over, she immediately followed that up with an eagle to finish at 1 under on the front. Her back nine was more of the same with 2 birdies and another eagle to post a 5 under 67. She tied for second, two off the lead. Go Brooke.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.
  • 4wedges
    Tour Pro
    • Jun 10, 2011
    • Barrie
    • bean counter

Originally posted by mpare View Post
    While I didn't watch the coverage (assuming there was any), I did see that Brooke Henderson had an excellent day yesterday. After bogeying the 7th hole to go one over, she immediately followed that up with an eagle to finish at 1 under on the front. Her back nine was more of the same with 2 birdies and another eagle to post a 5 under 67. She tied for second, two off the lead. Go Brooke.
    I noticed that too, hopefully it is a sign that her game is back.

Comment

• GoGolfing2
      Mid Handicapper
      • Sep 5, 2017
      • Burlington, ON
      • Telecom

She's looking good on the leaderboard as far, currently 2nd place. ​However, she still has her B- putting game, average two putts per GIR, kept missing 6, 7 footers. Yesterday was a little better. You can't expect 30+ putts per round to win a tournament.

Comment

• GoGolfing2
        Mid Handicapper
        • Sep 5, 2017
        • Burlington, ON
        • Telecom

No wonder no one says a word here anymore, Brooke's putter never let me down! R1:T2-->R2:T5-->R3:T24, on the other side, her putts per round went upwards, 27-->31-->34. Well, she might bounce back in R4, every tournament she always has one highlight round, so to give you guys her fanatics some hope.

Comment

• 4wedges
          Tour Pro
          • Jun 10, 2011
          • Barrie
          • bean counter

Originally posted by GoGolfing2 View Post
          No wonder no one says a word here anymore, Brooke's putter never let me down! R1:T2-->R2:T5-->R3:T24, on the other side, her putts per round went upwards, 27-->31-->34. Well, she might bounce back in R4, every tournament she always has one highlight round, so to give you guys her fanatics some hope.
          Yeah she's awful, I mean she is 6th in the CME standings. She is having putting issues, but she will rebound.

Comment

• mpare
            Tour Pro
            • May 11, 2007
            • Etobicoke, Ontario
            • Retired

It's a shame thar putting is her weakness, but her record proves, as you've implied, that she can rise and has risen above that limitation.

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Yeah she's awful, I mean she is 6th in the CME standings. She is having putting issues, but she will rebound.
            Last edited by mpare; Jun 16, 2024, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Weirfan
              Tour Pro
              • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

You'd wonder if these guys ever watch golf.

every player has challenges with aspects of the game. The only one from all tours that has been pretty rock solid is Scotty and even he has struggled with his putting, in particular that has shown to be the case this weekend.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Ignatius Reilly
                Tour Pro
                • Nov 16, 2009
                • 401 / Ave Rd.
                • Health IT Consultant (retired)

Every player has slumps and every player has some aspect of their game that is their weakest.

Brooke's in a bit of a slump, and it's her putter that's letting her down the most.

I don't know if she's getting any help there, but I think it would be a good move if her dad found a putting coach that was a good fit for her.

Having said that, lots of people criticize her dad for continuing to manage her career so closely, but it's worked pretty well so far. She's got 5 top-10s in the majors, with 2 wins. 13 LPGA wins and reached world #1.

She's done okay with the current team and we all know of people (both pros and regular folks) who have continued to keep changing things hoping to find something only to go backwards.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

• Weirfan
                  Tour Pro
                  • Dec 9, 2005

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Brooke's in a bit of a slump, and it's her putter that's letting her down the most.

I don't know if she's getting any help there, but I think it would be a good move if her dad found a putting coach that was a good fit for her.

Having said that, lots of people criticize her dad for continuing to manage her career so closely, but it's worked pretty well so far. She's got 5 top-10s in the majors, with 2 wins. 13 LPGA wins and reached world #1.

She's done okay with the current team and we all know of people (both pros and regular folks) who have continued to keep changing things hoping to find something only to go backwards.
                  We don't know what or what not her team has done to improve her game. She's one of the best female players in the world with virtually unlimited resources so it would be hard for me to believe that in an era where analytics are used for most everything that her team hasn't analyzed, discussed and worked on things. She's changed putters a few times and she isn't a terrible putter but just that the other aspects of her game are better. As I said above, that's not much different than anyone out there, including Scheffler who is also called a poor putter and iirc they showed stats to support that. Putting is the most difficult aspect of golf and there have been many great and successful players who were not that good with the flatstick. John Daly was a terrible putter, as is/was Sergio. Adam Scott as well ( although a bit of a resurgence with the broomstick) JT has struggles with the putter. They all know/knew and I am sure they have tried to deal with it.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Over Par
                    Club Pro
                    • Apr 3, 2021
                    • Best Country in the World.
                    • Retired

I am going to come at this from a different angle, correct me if I am wrong, but on a par 4 hole the GIR is 2 and 2 putts for a par, likewise for all holes, therefore on a par 72 course 36 shots are allowed for reaching the green and 36 putts.

If Brooke had rounds consisting of 27, 31 and 34 putts she was minus 14 on the green, being 7 under after 54 holes she therefore lost 7 shots reaching the green. While she may not be considered a great putter I don't think she is that bad and that is not what is costing her being closer to the lead. Be interesting to see what how many putts the leaders took.

Comment

• mpare
                      Tour Pro
                      • May 11, 2007
                      • Etobicoke, Ontario
                      • Retired

Brooke's putting woes didn't improve today. She had 32 putts today, after hitting 13 of 18 greens in regulation. That is not a good average. Her putts per round during this tournament was 31. Compared to the season average for putts per round, 31 would slot her 146th on the tour for putting prowess. Fortunately, for the season she sits in 62nd place with an average of 29.77.

Comment

• northernpro
                        Tour Pro
                        • Jul 17, 2007
                        • Kingston
                        • Retired Golf Professional-Class A Life Member PGA of Canada

Let’s face it..the kid makes great money but she is not
                        going in the right direction right now..her top 10 play is
                        not there…whether it’s her change in equipment…her
                        dad as a coach….or the mental side of competition….
                        I think we have seen her game sliding….just a fact

Comment

• GoGolfing2
                          Mid Handicapper
                          • Sep 5, 2017
                          • Burlington, ON
                          • Telecom

We are just her fans or golf fans in general hope a hopeful Canadian golfer can contend in the weekend, give up some motivation to watch LPGA, motivate more young girls into golf like she did in the past. However, she's not a kid anymore even still has the baby face looking, she's 26, Lexi semi retires at 29, merely any women golfer make a splash after age 30, if Brooke wants her career greater, time is not on her side. However I'm not sure if she still want that type of fight anymore, 9 years after turned to LPGA pro, money made gives her wealthy life, even finished at T34 today still makes 5 digit money, too many other golfers would love to have that stat. Why bother to fight those talented young girls from all over the world, if there is any chance she can. Maybe we just have to accept the reality we've seen the greatest Canadian golfer's peak time, what we see today will continue if not get worse, couple years later call it a historical career. We have to just move on.

Comment

• Mr22putt
                            Tour Pro
                            • Aug 11, 2011
                            • Vancouver. BC

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                            and reached world #1.
                            Brooke was CME #1 in June 2023.
                            I maybe wrong, but I believe Brooke has never been Rolex ranking #1 in her career, which IMO, Rolex ranking is the "benchmark" for the LPGA tour.
                            Surprisingly, I believe Minjee has also never been RR #1.

FWIW. After Lydia turned pro, I believe both Brooke & Minjee at one time, became women's WAGR #1 until they became pros.

Comment

• Johnrw
                              Tour Pro
                              • Jul 19, 2011
                              • Hamilton
                              • retired

I would just like to say this. What do putting stats really say? Hit every green, and still be 25 feet away and you’re most likely to have over 30 putts. The real stat to me should be putts made in each range say less than 10 feet, then between 10 and 20, etc or better yet 5 foot intervals. I believe it’s actually her wedge 8/9 iron play costing her. Those shots from the fairway, need to be with a certain range to be considered good, not just hitting a green. Certainly a slump, but is it just a coincidence, it’s been since changing clubs. 🤷

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X