Collapse

Tiger getting lifetime excemption to Signature events?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risky84
    Tour Pro
    • Feb 4, 2020
    • Port Elgin Ontario
    • Territory Manager (Energy Sector)

Originally posted by trebor View Post
    My one and only concern with this, and with Tiger being in any tourney that is broadcast, is that the camera and broadcast crews commit far too much screen time to him, and not to the golfers that are actually competing with a chance of winning. I am tired of watching him hit sub-Tiger Prime shots and making multiple bogeys every round. I don't see how this benefits the broadcasts, which are already suffering from lack of both viewership and interest.
    I get it that Tiger was the absolute best in his prime and that he (and Arnie) are responsible for the huge payouts that tour players now reap. But his Prime is in the rear view mirror. Yes, grant him exemptions. Just don't make it a Tiger broadcast!.
    It’s funny , I’d rather watch Tiger bumbling around out there then say JT or even Rory firing darts …. And I like JT and Rory . Something captivating about Tiger , for me anyways

Comment

• Ignatius Reilly
      Tour Pro
      • Nov 16, 2009
      • 401 / Ave Rd.
      • Health IT Consultant (retired)

Originally posted by Risky84 View Post

It’s funny , I’d rather watch Tiger bumbling around out there then say JT or even Rory firing darts …. And I like JT and Rory . Something captivating about Tiger , for me anyways
      Yeah, but within limits.

Somewhere I read/heard Tiger's exemption includes a no-cut provision. No matter what he shoots, he gets to play Sat and Sun.

Not sure that will be great if the cut line is at -3 and Tiger's at +7.

I'm also a little concerned about Lionworld's point about PGAT being all about earning your money on the course.

Maybe Greg and the Saudis are winning after all. The PGAT is starting to look more like LIV (but with better players, for now). Might as well go all the way with shorts, shotgun and 54 holes. And music. Really loud music.

Anyways, there's still hockey and cycling and basketball and baseball to watch, and there's still the 4 majors.

No lack of choices.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

• Chambokl
        Tour Pro
        • Sep 28, 2004
        • Kirkland Lake (Ontario)

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
        IMO....Tiger continues to play in very limited events per year to be able to collect on his endorsements.
        I am pretty sure none of Tiger's endorsements are connected to his play. His name is big enough . . . it carries enough weight. More like Michael . . . who retired from the NBA in 2003 . . . his endorsement earnings are $330M / year . . .

He earns almost 4 times his NBA career earnings in yearly endorsements . . .
        Last edited by Chambokl; Jun 21, 2024, 04:17 PM.
        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Section ThirtyOne
          Tour Pro
          • Sep 6, 2005
          • KW/Collingwood, ON
          • Professional Golfer

The man is literally the best to ever play the professional game. He should be able to play as long as he wants; I say that, because it won't be for much longer if the results don't start improving.
          10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
          16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
          20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
          4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
          Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

• Bosco
            Tour Pro
            • Dec 5, 2007
            • TO
            • Employed

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Yeah, but within limits.

Somewhere I read/heard Tiger's exemption includes a no-cut provision. No matter what he shoots, he gets to play Sat and Sun.

Not sure that will be great if the cut line is at -3 and Tiger's at +7.

I'm also a little concerned about Lionworld's point about PGAT being all about earning your money on the course.

Maybe Greg and the Saudis are winning after all. The PGAT is starting to look more like LIV (but with better players, for now). Might as well go all the way with shorts, shotgun and 54 holes. And music. Really loud music.

Anyways, there's still hockey and cycling and basketball and baseball to watch, and there's still the 4 majors.

No lack of choices.
            I don’t love the LIV format but do like that their tournaments don’t demand 4 days of TV viewing. Not sure if that was intended in their format but that’s a lot of time to devote to sitting in front of the tube these days.

id go for a condensed match play format- say over two days.

Comment

• leftylewis
              Mid Handicapper
              • May 7, 2009
              • Whitby
              • Information Technology

Honestly, I get the sentiment. Tiger's a legend, no doubt, but giving lifetime exemptions feels a bit too much. It could overshadow up-and-coming talents who need those spots to prove themselves.

Comment

• bogey5
                Tour Pro
                • Mar 20, 2011
                • GTA
                • All Done

Tiger was one of the most fiercly competetive athletes ever. This seems to go against everything he was, I hope he declines these invites and tells them he'll play these events when he qualifies with his play. And then hopefully he does but it doesn't look good at this point. It would be sad imo to watch him become the poster child for great sports figures that hang on way too long not knowing when to hang 'em up. I get the reason PGAT would do this but still not a fan of the idea. Maybe Vince McMahon will be the next commish. He knows how to run fake competetitions.

Comment

• TeetoGrnr
                  Club Pro
                  • Sep 4, 2005
                  • North York

Originally posted by Lionworld View Post
                  Complete joke! I thought you had to earn your money on the course- not based on past performance or past reputation. Why don’t they just give Tiger the winner’s share of every tournament.
                  They would if they could...and they did when they created PIP

Comment

• xrox
                    Tour Pro
                    • Jun 19, 2010

Originally posted by Risky84 View Post

+1 About the only reason I have watched golf the last 25 years was to see him play. So, the few times he tees it up nowadays, I'll tune in. When he says goodbye, so will I.
                    Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

• Pimento Cheese
                      Tour Pro
                      • Jan 16, 2012

Sure, sounds fine to me. I am surprised that Tiger is good with this -- and presumably he is, because I don't think the PGA would just grant this exemption without checking in with him. It seems realistic that Tiger will be at the bottom of the field nearly every time out, which doesn't sound like something he'd enjoy.

I'm not sure Tiger is the ratings gold he used to be, and if he does still draw viewers, that will fade with every day that Tiger ages and it becomes increasingly clear he's not going to be competitive in these events ... I think people will have trouble getting interested in watching him hobble around the course with a scowl on his face as he struggles to put decent rounds together. I don't think we're quite there yet, but we're getting to the point where watching Tiger play these events could be like watching Willie Mays in 1973, which was a notoriously sad sight.

But for now, for the PGA, it's basically an acknowledgement that they put all their marketing eggs in one very fruitful basket for a long time, and now need him around to draw attention to who is playing now. Fine.

Comment

• Lionworld
                        Scratch Golfer
                        • Dec 4, 2020

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

I am pretty sure non of Tiger endorsements are connected to play. His name is big enough . . . it carries enough weight. More like Michael . . . who retired from the NBA in 2003 . . . his endorsement earnings are $330M / year . . .

He earns almost 4 times his NBA career earnings in yearly endorsements . . .
                        I’ve never understood the endorsements paid to pro athletes, particularly golfers. I assume they have analysed the ROI. Personally, I have never bought an article of clothing, or a golf club, because a certain athlete wore it, or used it. I have no idea what make of clubs any current PGA player uses, and certainly don’t care. I always go back to Nike a decade ago when both the number 1 and number 2 golfers in the world (Tiger and Rory) played Nike clubs. That led to so few sales that Nike got out of the club business altogether. Didn’t Tiger also endorse Buick automobiles a few years ago? In any given week I may see one Buick on the road. I agree with Chambokl that Tiger’s endorsements are tied to his playing.

Comment

• emvee
                          Club Pro
                          • Apr 17, 2005
                          • Grand Bend (mostly), Etobicoke (sometimes)
                          • Technology

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                          ...although given his health I wonder just how many events he will play, if any.
                          Exactly. To me, this is just cover for a situation when Tiger calls a tournament director and says "I'm feeling pretty good right now. Can I get into the field?" Now the answer is a resounding "Sure!" rather than a "Hmm, let me ask around to see how we can do this". Fair to say this might never happen or if it does, it will be rare.

While most of golf is a meritocracy, most events have some sort of special exemptions. For instance, will Golf Canada ever say no to Mike Weir if he wants to play the Canadian Open?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X